Chapter 13

WARNING: CHAPTERS 32 - 36 OF THIS BOOK CAN ONLY BE READ ON INKITT! LINK IN MY BIO ♥️
...

I'm shaking with nerves.

And, I'm not completely sure why as Abbey messaged to let me know that her friends were excited to meet us. It's not like Abbey will leave me out, either. I guess I'm just having an off day. I didn't sleep well last night, waking in the middle of the night from a bad dream with Jamie cuddling me from behind as I cried my heart into the pillow.

Yeah, it's as tragic as it sounds.

Leaving the pushchair at the door with the others, I pull Emily out of the straps and place her tight on my hip as she scapes the place with her wide, excited eyes, spotting Abbey before I do.

"Over here!" Abbey bounces on her feet with her hand in the air.

I wave back.

There's three women standing near the ball pit, all giving me friendly smiles with their eyes flicking from me to the kids rolling around to the side of them.

Abbey takes Emily from my arms with the tassels on her jumper stealing my little girl's attention. "Isn't she gorgeous? I told you all!"

The lady with a blonde pixie cut touches Emily's tiny hand to steal her attention back on them. "You're a cutie, yes, you are."

Emily's dimples pop out to play.

"Hi!" she says, turning to make sure I'm still standing there to which I give her my best smile.

A chorus of giggles surrounds us.

It's busy in here with kids running riot as some parents chase after them while others sit on the benches near the dining area and bar. They often do children's party weekends, and I'm assuming alcohol is needed for the parents, or maybe the staff when something goes wrong.

Abbey carries Emily over to the soft play area where she starts to point at the slides. I spot her son Fred zooming down the green one, racing his little brother Billy. And when they reach the bottom, they carry on the race towards their mum.

Abbey turns to me, not seeming to mind that Emily is now yanking huge pieces of hair between her fingers. "Are they okay to play with her in there?"

Rushing over, I try to get Emily to release the hair before taking her in my arms to remove her coat and baby converse shoes.

"She has the most beautiful skin tone," says the lady with fire red curls.

I wait for Abbey to pull open the gate before putting Emily on the mats so she can power-crawl to the huge unicorn. "She does, doesn't she? Lewis, Emily's dad's mother is from from Sicily. I thought she'd take on his hair colour too, but it seems to be a lighter brown."

"Oh, how interesting," she says on a smile. "I'm Karen by the way."

"Sorry," Abbey shouts before I get the chance to answer. "I should be the one to introduce everyone. So, that's the beautiful Karen as you already know, then there's the gorgeous Penelope, and my best friend in the entire world, Suze. And, girls, we have the stunning Molly, who's our Jamie's friend."

Suze, who wears her hair piled high on her head places her hands on her hips. "I'm just the best friend, not beautiful or gorgeous?"

"Of course, you're both those things. I called you my best friend in the entire world. I think that trumps them all," Abbey replies, pushing Suze's arm a couple times.

I stifle a giggle.

Suze nods. "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Abbey throws me a wink. "You hungry? We usually eat here."