Chapter 3

WARNING: CHAPTERS 32 - 36 OF THIS BOOK CAN ONLY BE READ ON INKITT! LINK IN MY BIO ♥️
...

Jamie grins at our friends confused faces. "We met earlier on the train journey up here."

Yasmin's eyes flick to me. "Oh, is that right?"

I recognise that look. It's the 'Sooo, what do you think? Isn't he cute!' look. My eyes automatically narrow to stop her in her tracks, catching Jamie unravelling his scarf from his neck in the corner of my eye.

There's a real elegance about him as he folds it up to fit on the coffee table so he can unbutton his black peacoat to reveal the navy blue suit he was sporting this morning— not that I was looking. I noticed his gentle way when he held Emily on the train, but it seems he carries the same energy everywhere he goes.

Yasmin accepts the hug he gives her. "It's good to see you, Jay. Get settled on the sofa, and I'll fetch you a drink. You like beer, right?"

"A beer sounds perfect right about now," he replies, heading for the armchair that Yasmin just left.

I tug at the blanket, so it covers my shoulders, looking away when Jamie catches me staring at him. "Did you manage to get your work done on time?"

He tilts his head on a soft smile. "Yeah, I managed to do some in between meetings, thanks. I just emailed them over to my boss, so I'll be switching everything off until Monday."

"Even your phone?"

The smile on his face stays in place. "My work phone. I like my weekends to be about what I want to do, so everyone in the company knows not to bother me unless it's urgent."

I think he's smart for doing so, taking time for yourself should be at the top of your priorities. "What do you do for work?"

Crossing his feet over one another, he slides further into the chair. "I'm a financial manager for a packaging company. I haven't been there long, but it keeps me busy, and I like the people. They seem to look after their workers which is rare these days with such a huge corporation."

"He's a bit of a brainiac," Matt says, walking through the doorway with two Corona in his hands.

Jamie tips his head back on a laugh. "If you say so."

Matt hands him the beer, before throwing himself down on the space next to me. "I do say so. You manage to work your way through my paperwork without going stark crazy. I'd say that's a brainiac's territory."

Jamie nods his head. "Fair."

Almost knocking me over with the force of his shoulder nudging mine, Matt wraps his arm around me. "Molly is a genius with numbers, aren't you?"

"I do love a good equation."

Swallowing his mouthful of beer, Jamie's ears seem to perk up. "Oh, yeah?"

It's nice to be on the same wavelength as someone for a change. "I trained to be a meteorologist before I fell pregnant with Emily."

"So you're the person we all blame when the weather is bad?" he replies, a red flush starting to cover random parts of his face.

My giggle is loud. "That's me."

There's joy bouncing around in his eyes. "That's brilliant. I think you should take the brainiac title. You deserve it more."

"I know how hard it is trying to work figures out for companies. I'll bet you save them millions. I'll give it to you," I say, starting to worry that he's having an allergic reaction with the way his face is shining red.