✅Wally West

Hey Wally. I miss you.
It's been three weeks, six days, 16 hours and exactly 27 seconds since you died. Well, Dick doesn't believe that. But I do.
It kills me to say, but I do.
I have to believe that you're gone. I know that I have to, because if I don't, then I won't eat.
I won't sleep. I won't be able to even think if I keep hoping you're still out there.

I don't even know why I'm writing these letters to you, cause I know you'll never read them, but Artemis told me it might help me with coping.

It kills me to know that I'll never see you again. You were the one person that could cheer me up on a bad day, you know. The one person.
All you would have to do was flash me your smile, your beautiful smile, and I would feel better straight away. It hurts that I'll never see that smile again.
I don't know where to exist in a world without you.

I resent the fact that you left me. I hated you for a while, for leaving me alone. Dick seems to be the only one who understands my pain. He and I have gotten even closer because of your death, in some sick, twisted way.
We're the only ones who get each other now, he's the only one I can lean on.

I wish I could wake up tomorrow, in your arms in our bed, and you would give me that cheesy smile and a hug, god how I miss your hugs. And you would tell me everything's gonna be okay, and that nothing could ever tear us apart.
But something did, and I don't know if I'll ever be the same because of it.

————————————————————————

Hey Wally.
It's been six weeks, seventeen days, and twelve hours since you died.
I remember that crushing day. In every perfectly horrible detail. 

You and I were supposed to go to that restaurant you always loved, in Metropolis, remember? You always raved about how their chocolate cake was out of this world.

It was gonna be our time to reconnect, because you and I hasn't seen each other properly, because college and your hero stuff. But it was gonna be our first date in a month.

I was gonna wear my new dress, the one with the long sleeves and silk that you said you loved. I remember thinking that this night was gonna be perfect.

I remember the exact moment my world crumbled around me.

Dick came to the door, still in his Nightwing suit. I knew this was going to be a dangerous mission for you, but I couldn't hold you back. You knew you needed to do this, and I couldn't have stopped you if I tried.

I knew the answer before I even asked him where you were. He just looked at me, and slowly shook his head.

I couldn't breathe. The world seemed to be going in slow motion. I remember falling onto the floor. Just collapsing.
Dick couldn't even tell me it was okay, because he and I both knew it wasn't. He just held me, in my doorway, as I screamed into his chest and cried. I think he cried too.

I get nightmares. A lot.
I wake up because I'm screaming so loud that I can hear it through my sleep. The nightmare is always the same- I'm running to you, and you're just out of reach so that every time I reach my hand out, you seem further away.

People tell me it gets better over time, but I don't think so. It just gets worse, as time passes and I learn and experience new things, and it just reminds me that you're not here by my side, to do these things with me.
I thought it was just you and me against the world.
Now I have to face it alone.

—————————————————————

Hey Wally. It's been six months.
I couldn't stop crying today. I couldn't go to work. I just stared at your photos for, I don't even know how long.
Because I found the ring in your drawer. It was hidden, but I found it. It's more perfect than I could've imagined. But I can't wear it.

I can't wear it because if I did, every time I would look down at my hand it would remind me of what we could've been, if that stupid mission didn't go wrong.
But I can't seem to get rid of it either.

————————————————————
Hey Wally.
I cleared out your stuff today.

It was hard, throwing away some of the stuff that you used to love. Which is probably why I
didn't throw away much. But it pained me to look at your clothes hanging in the closet, and your watch on the dressing table, as if you were gonna walk through the door and put them on.

I feel, calmer somehow, since I cleared out your things. I gave some of your stuff to Barry, I knew he wanted something to remember you by. I gave your watch to Dick, and he wears it every day now, which makes me happy.

————————————————————————

Hey Wally.
It's the one year anniversary since you died.
I went to your grave today, for the first time since the funeral.

I never got why people went to graves. It doesn't do anything for me, personally. Because their soul is already gone, only the body is in the grave, not the person. Your body isn't even there, it's just a headstone to remember you by.

I prefer looking at our pictures. They capture the person you were, and how happy we both used to be. I like the one we took on our one year anniversary the best. The one when we went to the park, and you were sad because you dropped your ice cream cone, so you stole and ate all of mine when I wasn't looking.
That's my favourite memory of you.
Central City lost a hero that fateful day, but the civilians don't know that, since Bart took up your mantle.

I used to resent him, you know. Hated how he seemed to come just in time for your death, and replace you. But I realized that he was just as broken as I was about your death. He visits me a lot now, which I'm thankful for.

I've lost a lot of friends since your passing. I don't go out much anymore, so they've drifted from me, but I don't care. My real friends have stuck with me, like Artemis and Connor and Dick, and that means a lot to me. I know I would've done something...rash, without them. They made me realize that I have something to live for, even without you.
Because the people you loved, they need to remember you, and tell people the story of the amazing Kid Flash. Well, the original one. Bart's loud enough to tell his own story.

I think this is gonna be my last letter to you. I haven't moved on from your death, at least not yet, but I've come to terms with it.
Because I know I'll see you again sometime.

See you later, Wally.