Chapter 14

"What?! She did what?!" The representative shouted so loudly that we could hear her through the phone. "What even happened?!"

"The adoptive mother insulted Mia and banned Ini from seeing her. Ini was thrown out after refusing."

Dad put the phone on speaker so we could hear the other side of the call. "She has no right to do that! Let me assure you that she'll be dealt with!"

"Yes, and now she has nowhere to go, so I want to gain custody," Dad explained. "Could you make an exception for this case?"

"I can't do anything. However, these are exceptional circumstances. Let me speak to my supervisor about this, I'll add her to the call."

A few seconds passed before a second voice came to the phone. "Hello, sir. You are asking about gaining custody of your daughter?"

"Yes, she has a twin sister we already have custody of, called Mia Gale," Dad explained once again. He's calmed down and his voice is back down to a reasonable volume.

"I'm sorry, but I can't allow..." She is cut off by her employee.

"Might I explain the circumstances?" She went on to explain the events of the night, and the supervisor stayed silent throughout the whole exchange and for a couple of minutes.

"Okay, Mr Gale, I'm currently checking through the policies to see if an exception can be made for you. Give me a minute." Ini continued chewing on her lip, and both me and Mum were nervous. The supervisor started talking again. "Okay, I think this can happen. Our policies say that it may be possible if the child in question truly wants to be cared for by their biological parents. There is also a policy in place, where custody is stripped from the adoptive parents if they have no intention of caring for the child assigned to them."

"I'm not a child," Ini complained, her cheeks puffed out. "Seriously, we're 16!"

"All I need to confirm is if Ini wants to stay with you."

"Well, my phone is on speaker and she's in the room right now. You can ask her," Dad answered, he gave us a thumbs up.

"Well, Ini, do you wish for your parents, Mandy and Hugh Gale, to gain custody of you?" she asked.

"Yes! Yes! YES!" Ini practically screamed into the phone. "I hate my adoptive mother now!" I heard the representative laugh.

"Okay, you need to wait a few weeks for the official paperwork to be completed, and then you'll have full custody of your daughter."

~that night

Ini and I appeared in the Vocaloid World that night, desparate to share our good news, only to see Maryann in a similar state. She was sat on the sofa, her leg bouncing up and down. Lucy was sat next to her, a wide smile on her face.

Multiple lights lit up the room and me and Ini got away from them to avoid colliding with the Vocaloid Actors who had just arrived. I stepped backwards, stumbling over someone's foot and was caught under the armpits. They helped me balance before I turned and realised that I almost fell into Kevin.

I wrapped him in a hug. He seemed surprised but hugged me right back. "I have the best news," I told him as soon as we separated.

"So does Maryann, apparantly," Kevin explained, taking my hand. Our hands began to glow purple, like usual. "That's why everyone turned up here, tonight!"

I observed the room, noticing, just like Kevin had said, that all the Vocaloid Actors had turned up. They all assembled in front of Maryann and Lucy. I noticed Ini and Aiden in the crowd, they were leaning against each other, a faint pink blush spanning Ini's cheeks.