Chapter 11

I sat in Maths class, as I was working through problems in the textbook. I hear Ini speaking quietly beside me to her scribe, who was just a teaching assistant, who wrote every number and sign she said.

Her whole arm was encased in a light pink cast. It had a signature from me written at the top, with a small heart underneath to represent her Vocaloid, as Kokone meant 'Heart Sound' in Japanese. She wore her band on her opposite wrist. Rachel, Louis, Aiden and Racquelle had also added their own messages.

My phone was playing 'Otome Kaibou' in my pocket and I was secretly listening to it through my left ear. It suddenly began to play 'Snow White Princess is' really loudly and not through my earbuds. I realise it was my ringtone and quickly silenced it, and forced it to power off, before slipping my earbud off and hiding it in my sleeve. They were wireless, so no wire ratted me out.

"Mia, please give me your phone! You know perfectly well that phones aren't allowed!" The teacher stood in front of me, and I gave her my phone, grumbling about whoever was stupid enough to call me. "You will get it back at the end of the day!"

I went back to my questions in a bad mood. Louis and Ini shared sympathetic looks with me. I Mind-Messaged my dad.

Me: 'Sorry, someone thought it was a smart idea to call me in Maths! I won't be able to call you at lunch.'

My dad would always call me at lunch, just to check that my day was alright, and I would tell him something he could cook at lunch as Mum would always be at work.

Dad: 'Well, what's in the fridge? I need lunch you know!'

Me: 'You could have one of those salads, or those microwaveable burgers.'

I slumped in my seat as I attempted to concentrate. As I looked at the page, the numbers seem to move, and I couldn't make sense of anything. Without music to focus my mind, it was almost impossible for me to concentrate. Luckily, the bell rang two minutes later, and I headed to a free period.

I grabbed a computer and began to complete some code for Computer Science. Ten minutes later, I was close to banging my head on the desk. I was searching for how to do a certain function and was drowning in complicated code from different websites.

I breathed in deeply, pulled myself back to reality, and closed all the tabs talking about code. Looking at the music video I was currently watching, I decided to search one last time. I opened a new tab, opened the search bar and started to type. Instead of searching 'function', 'program', I searched 'function', 'program' and 'library' (a/n you'll understand if you use python). I clicked the first link, and every line of code was broken down, explaining how it worked.

I began to type the function, using comments to explain the code for future reference. When I tested my program, the function performed flawlessly, but one of my textboxes was faulty. When I looked at the error that popped up, it told me which line had the mistake. My mistake was typing a comma instead of a period. The program worked perfectly, once corrected.

"Mia!"

"Gak!" I looked up and saw Ini standing behind me. "Don't do that, Ini! You nearly gave me a heart attack!" She raised one eyebrow; arms folded. I removed one earbud and listened to what she wanted.

"I've been trying to get your attention for five minutes, so I suggest you turn the volume down on the computer!" I gave her a look that clearly said, 'Not happening!' She sighed before she told me her problem. "I need help with the program I'm trying to code, and my scribe knows nothing!"

I followed her to her computer and bent over to look at the code. She was programming something completely different to me. I tested the program and discovered what she trying to do. "So, do you need help with finishing the program or correcting the error that just popped up?" She made a noise of confusion, before reading over the error.