Chapter 26: The Ascendency

"Must be an opera happening tonight," Finn says.  Looking out the window of the security air speeder that's taking us back to the Senate Rotunda; he looks at the grand opera house with nostalgia.  I sense his mind is sobering. 

"Hmm?" I turn my head and look out his window.  Our air speeder drives overhead Coruscant's Galaxies Opera House.  Below you can see the red carpet and lights shining brightly. Beings dressed in glamorous and expensive attire walk inside the building. "I guess so." I exhale slowly.  

"Have you been to that opera house yet?" Finn looks over at me.  I sense through the Force he's trying to shift the energy between us in the shuttle.  We have been silent since we boarded and took our seats.  He's troubled by both incidents of how I handled the enemy.  I sense his growing concern over me. 

"I've never been to an opera before," I say wistfully.  I have always wanted to go to one.  Seeing the beautiful gowns and how excited everyone looks walking inside. How I would love to get dressed up to attend. I wonder what the performances look like.  I hear they are breathtaking to see on Coruscant. 

"You've never been! Oh man, I have to tell Poe.  He and I went to one last season and it was a perfect evening.  We even sat in the senator's suite together.  The view, oh man, the view.  Truly beautiful."

"I'll have to try to make it to one." I smile a little.  It would be fun to go with the two of them.  I try to bring my energy up thinking about it.  The encounter with the clone and the darkness I used has me enervated.  My mind feels lost even though I see things so clearly.  It's as though I'm losing myself in this journey.  I sense a conflict growing deep in me---a hole is forming.  A deep, hollow void that's sucking all the light from my spirit---leaving only darkness.  It is growing every day; I feel as though I am losing this fight for balance.  I sigh and turn forward-facing again. 

"We're here," Finn says looking ahead out the driver's window.  We have arrived at the military level of the Senate Rotunda.  Our air speeder lowers to a hover and parks on the private landing balcony.  The engines still and the speeder doors whoosh open.  

I walk out on the balcony and can see two military personnel waiting for us by the door.  Our escorts are armed and have this rattled energy they are trying to conceal.  They want to give the illusion of being steadfast and strong but I can see through it.  The duo has seen something---something that troubles them. 

***

"Rey! Finn! Thank the Force you are back! Come!" Poe waves his hand for us to take our position around the HoloTable in the War Room. "Look!" he pushes the button on the table and activates a recording as we take our place near him. 

The recording is of Admiral Malcoy from the Republic Cruiser, Thranta from three days ago.

"Supreme Commander, Dameron.  Our fleet positioned in the Moddell Sector has been attacked.  Some First Order Imperial-class cruisers and what we think is a heavily modified Terminus-class destroyer; have taken out three of our cruisers and counting.  We can't hold off the attack from this ship.  We were able to download information about this vessel and analyze it.  Sir, it moves like no other.  It's far more agile and faster than anything we have ever encountered before---even from the Sith-Fleet.  It took out the three ships in a matter of moments.  We can't corner it!  I'm afraid this is my last transmission to you, Sir.  It's been an honor."

The image scatters.  I sense it---they are lost.  Our heads bow in sorrow and respect. 

"What is this ship?" Finn asks.

"It's called The Ascendancy."  Poe changes the options on the table and pulls up the information the Admiral was able to collect from the battle.  Including, recordings of this ship attacking the fleet.

You could hear a pin drop in the room.  We watch in horror, how this ship moves and destroys effortlessly our battle cruisers.  How quickly it moves---this is not a normal ship.  

"It doesn't make any sense.  Normal First Order or Imperial ships from the Old Empire operated with four thousand or so crew members.  This ship only uses one thousand...but how? It doesn't make any sense.  It's not that much smaller than a standard Terminus-class destroyer." Poe slams his hand on the HoloTable still staring at the projected images. 

My mind races and finds the answer. "This is not a normal ship because it's not operated with machinery." the eyes of the room turn to me. "This is operated with some form of organics." I meet the eyes of the officers staring at me.

"How do you know, Rey?" Poe lifts his head and stares at me.

"I saw pieces of it.  In the mind of the clone, I just apprehended.  They are using cybernetics with organics to pilot this vessel. I'm guessing that the clone wanted me to see it for this very reason.  He knew that attack would reach us today." I point to the ship in the projection.

 All the pieces are moving in my mind now and rearranging.  "That's how they are going to use the Dark saber.  By bringing this weapon through the World Between Worlds. They want to destroy the Republic First---destroy me.  The only one who can stop them. What are their plans for it? When are their plans?..."

"We need to get on this ship somehow.  That's probably our best bet for finding its weakness," Poe says to the room.  "Where is the SIS Director?" Poe questions the room. 

A small-framed, dark-skinned man walks forward. "Here, Sir."

"Cray, do you have any intelligence reports on this ship?" Poe asks.

"We do.  Months back, we were able to intercept our fleeing enemy's cipher, thanks in part to our Jedi Master, Rey.  Based on recent transmissions we intercepted, this ship will be docking at the planet Vardos in less than six days.  If we can get an SIS agent inside that ship---I can get more detail on how to destroy it," Cray says to the room.

"Perfect, pick your agent and I too shall go," I speak up.

A calm washes over the energy in the room.  The officers all trust me and feel assured knowing that I will go.  Their confidence grows and the fear they had after seeing the recording passes.

"Give me your best agent.  I have a feeling we're going to need to call in a favor for this one."

"Of course, Grand Master," Cray says to me as he bows his head down slightly. 

***

Chewie, Finn, and I meet with Poe in his office.  Strategic Information Service Director Cray, joins in after us. 

I punch in the call number for one of our oldest allies. A small humanoid, orange female, projects on the transceiver call. "Hey kiddos," Maz smiles as she looks up from what she's doing.  

"Maz! It's good to see you!" Poe exclaims.  Chewie can be heard in the background. 

"Is that my boyfriend with you? I haven't seen you in months Chewbacca.  Winter is coming...it's going to get cold here," Maz wiggles her eyebrow.

"Ok!" Poe interjects. We all give a slight cringe and giggle at her openness. Chewie purrs back a mating call in Wookie. Poe's lips cringe, "Maz, we need a smuggler. The best and most trustworthy one you have at your disposal."

"Smuggler, eh? Going on another adventure that you're not bothering to invite me on---again," Maz jests. 

"Well, not just a smuggler, we also need a local contact on Vardos? Do you know any?" I ask Maz.

Maz takes off her glasses and starts cleaning them with a nearby cloth.  "Vardos, eh? Of course, I know someone! I know everybody, remember!" she exclaims as she puts her glasses back on.

"Perfect.  We need to be there in less than three days---in case our target ship arrives there sooner."

"I can have the who collected and ready on Takodana in two days.  Be here by then," Maz smiles. 

"We will leave tomorrow for you," I reply.  

Maz winks, "see you soon, kiddos."