Chapter 2: The Message

The door shuts behind us revealing a well air-conditioned building. I allow myself a moment in our trek towards Poe's Supreme Commander's office--to breathe in the cool air. Even in the upper level of Coruscant, the air quality is very poor. I notice the Force surrounding me and bringing me to ease as the cold air hits the loose hairs on my top single bun.

We continue walking through the winding hallways. Since the fall of the First Order, the building has been remodeled and more pieces of artwork line the halls and rooms. We reach the entrance near Poe's office, and he quickly opens the large elaborate door for our entrance. I follow him with my eyes as he walks directly behind his desk and plops himself in the large blue swivel chair.

I watch as Finn takes a seat to my left in front of Poe's desk. I sit down and feel relaxed as the cushion on the chair contours my body. I look around his office and see by the large window a portrait of Leia. This must have been her official Senate portrait before the First Order took power. I scan the image and meet her portrait's gaze. How I miss her warm smile and constant reassurance that everything would be ok. I feel emotional from the sight of the picture. I haven't seen her face since the final battle--so many years ago.

"It's a good touch, isn't it?" Poe says.

"Hmm? Oh, yes. It is," I smile turning my face back to Poe. As I do this, I notice that Finn is staring at me curiously.

"You know, every time I have to make a decision. I look to her and say to myself 'would she slap me if I did or didn't do this?' And then, I know I'm making the right choice," Poe finishes with a smile.

"The Republic is in good hands then," I reply.

"I can only hope," he says with a falling smile. Quickly, Poe hits a buzzer on his desk and calls to his secretary. "Mava, would you send the droid in please," he says with annoyance at the word droid.

"Right away, sir," the woman replies on the other end.

Poe leans back in his chair and gives a slight groan as the doors open to reveal a very familiar face.

"Oh thank the Maker! Master Rey, you have returned! It is so wonderful to see you again!" C-3PO says as he waddles in the room.

"It's good to see you too," I say smiling at the droid as he makes his way over to the side of Poe.

"So what's the message?" I change subjects quickly as I feel Finn trying to press on my mind to sense what is troubling me. I want to see this mysterious thing we must obtain. A grin small grin grows on my face.

Finn leans in with me as we watch Poe touch a button on his desk's holoprojector. A blueish image projects in the air of a member of the Hutt Cartel. The creature is decently large and covered in a tattoo pattern on his face and backside. "This must be the new Hutt in charge."

"We're going to need Threepio for this part," Poe says reluctantly. As the gold droid turns to him with excitement. Poe hits the play button and the Hutt Lord starts to speak.

"Toogi tuta Hutta. Mee am Gobba, doe newpa crime lorda. Mee have an invitation tah extend tah u, members of doe publiko um do enemy, doe former first order. This invitation sa che do precious sith relic found noleeya doe private Mustafar ship of doe infamous, Darth Vader. Jee-jee will ensure doe safety of our guests um party coo wins doe bid will have both doe ship um doe relic. Doe auction will begin noleeya doe next moon cycle on Hutta," Gobba the Hutt finishes and the message ends.

"Hit it Threepio," Poe demands.

"The creature from the Hutt Cartel said 'Greetings from Hutta. I am Gobba, the new leader. I have an invitation to extend to you, members of the Republic, and your enemy, the former First Order. This invitation is for a precious Sith relic found in the private Mustafar ship of the infamous, Darth Vader. We will ensure the safety of our guests and the party who wins the bid--will have both the ship and its relic. The auction will begin in the next moon cycle on Hutta.' My, it has been quite a while since I heard Huttese," C-3PO finishes.

I lean back in my chair and turn to look at Finn and then Poe. Excitement rushes over me--I feel Finn notice my energy rise.

"Can we trust them?" Finn asks the group.

"Of course not," Poe responds.

"Can we truly ensure our safety with them?" Finn asks.

"I'm going to go with, no," Poe replies.

"Then what are we waiting for?" I question with a smile. "You said this was important for us to obtain, why?" I ask Poe curiously.

I hear Finn breathe in deeply and release as Poe gently leans back in his chair.

"Because, Rey, that relic came from Mustafar and is a datacron--we think. We were lucky enough to find in the archives of the Empire what could be in that relic..."

"And?" I question with a grin.

"That relic could contain the information Vader used to open the portal of the Spirit World," Poe says bracing himself like I'm about to scream at him.

My face becomes stern as my heart drops in my chest. Finally...

"That's not possible," I reply looking at Poe, then to Finn, and then back at Poe.

"Normally, no. But Rey, according to the archives... Vader was able to do it..." Poe trails off. "Do you see now, even if it isn't what we think it is, why we need to obtain it? If the remaining First Order somehow gets hold of it don't you think they'd try to bring back...Palpatine?" He finishes.

I crash back in my chair and process the words. I can feel my heart racing as I remember what happened over four-years-ago. Defeating my grandfather at the cost of losing Ben. My breath quickens and I feel as though I can't catch my breath. Finn's hand grabs onto my left shoulder to steady me. Darkness flutters in my mind.

"We can't let that happen," I say sternly. Looking back up at Poe.

My mind races to the idea of him returning. "I won't be able to defeat him again. Not without... Ben." I feel tears forming behind my eyes. I reach out to find comfort in the Force and allow my mind to calm. I will not show my weakness to them--I cannot reveal my cards yet.

"So, now you understand. Even if it isn't that datacron; we can't allow anything from that part of history to get in the hands of our enemy," Poe says staring straight through me.

"When can we leave?" I ask him staring into his eyes.