Chapter 11: Presence

I take my seat next to Poe and Finn at the medium-sized table in our private bidding room.  Several of the IG Assassin Droids line the wall behind us and near the door.  Finn looks at them anxiously and I grab his left hand with my right. 

"Don't worry," I whisper to him.

He smirks and looks forward.  In front of us, a large darkened viewing window. I can see the vault below and several Hutt loyalists and droids walking around the room.  I balance my breathing. 

Breathing in deeply and exhaling slowly---keeping the darkness at bay.  I allow the Force to surround me and bring balance to my mind.  Suddenly, I feel a dark presence near.  My eyes dart ahead, across the showroom, to the other viewing window.

"They're here," I say aloud. Finally...

"Who's here?" Poe questions.

Chewie howls at Poe.

"Oh, right, them..." he says leaning back in his chair. He exhales hard and gives a stern face. 

"Not just some former commanders, Finn, do you sense it? Do you sense, him?"

I turn to look at Finn and see him close his eyes and breathe in deeply then exhale softly. "Yes."

"There is someone here with them.  Someone who is surrounded by the dark side of the Force," I say to the party. 

Poe stares intently at me.  "Do you have any clue of whom it could be?"

"I have no idea.  But I will find out," I say as I look unwaveringly into Poe's eyes.  I turn my head back and see the auction is about to commence.  The young Twi'lek has taken center stage in front of the vault.  She raises her right arm and the vault's endless locks begin unfastening.  

I watch in wonder as the giant, impenetrable vault unlocks. I keep my composure as the sides of the vault slide down revealing Darth Vader's Advanced Tie Fighter. 

Noticing the energy in our room rising---curiosity and fear grow in my comrades. Reaching out through the Force, I feel overwhelming excitement coming from our foe's across the room.  The Force-sensitive individual's energy is the most perplexing---completely calm.

"What are you hiding?" I think to myself.

The Twi'lek begins speaking over an intercom.  

"Welcomed guests.  His excellency is honored by your presence here today. There will be one item up for auction this morning.  As you will see behind me, we have confirmed the authenticity of this Tie Fighter to have belonged to the infamous, Darth Vader.  The winner of the fighter shall also inherit the small relic that is inside of the fighter.  For condition purposes, his excellency did not want to scan the device for it would cause a depreciation." 

I look over to Chewie.  I sense he is troubled by the fighter in front of us.  This must bring back a flood of memories.  Not just his adventures with Han but how his people were enslaved by Vader and the Empire to make the Death Star. I lean forward slightly, and he turns his head to me a little. 

"Are you alright?" I question softly, staring into his warm eyes.

Chewie chirps slowly and softly back to me.  "It's alright, it will be over soon," I reassure him.

"If you will direct your attention to the Holopad on the table.  You will see your ability to place the bid.  The highest bidder shall win the item for auction," the Twi'lek says looking up to ours then their viewing window. 

I look down at the Holopad and see the number at one million credits.  I'm taken aback by the number at first but then regain composure. 

"Hit the button," I command to Poe.  

Poe grabs the pad and presses the button.  I reach out through the Force and feel the intensity of our enemy across the way.  

The number increases to two million. 

Poe shakes his head slightly, "Man, Tie Fighters are normally under sixty thousand credits.  It just had to be his didn't it?" he shakes his head from the shock of the cost.

"Press it," I say firmly. I'm so close now.

The bid begins increasing.  The thought of obtaining that relic is all I can think about---all that I have thought about.  The Force is dancing wildly around me.  I must get that relic.  It doesn't matter the cost.

"Ten-million..." Poe trails off. 

"Press it," I grit through my teeth. 

I reach out through the Force and find the former commander of the First Order who is bidding against us.  I reach to his mind and see it's like dough for my manipulation.  This sends a wave of pleasure down my spine.  Scanning his memories is simple.  Looking through the endless wave of images---I see what I have been suspicious of.

I reach the inside of his thoughts now.

"You will stop bidding now.  Surely, you realize, much like the war...you can't win this one.  I believe your funds will dry up if you purchase this.  I can imagine your superior would be quite displeased with your decision.  Go now, stop the bidding, let us take it..." I say inside of his mind.  

"Yes, you can have it," another voice responds in my head.

I break my connection with the First Order commander and see Finn staring at me. "That Force-user is stronger than he shows," I say in my head.

"Rey," Finn says with a stone face. 

I say nothing and turn back to Poe. "It looks like they pulled out.  I'm sure you had nothing to do with that, Rey." Poe says looking at me with a smile.  

The bidding has stopped at 16 million credits. Poe looks down at that number and takes a deep breath in. "Well, I hope that it's worth it," he says aloud looking at us.

"Yes, indeed it will be," I say with a smile.