Chapter 6: Dawn

I gasp.

My heart races and my mind is spinning from the alcohol. I rise to a seated position on my bed and run my hands through my messy hair. I look around in vain in the room to see if Ben is here with me. Dawn has arrived and the Master Bedroom's shutters are opening automatically to greet the rising sun.

Light crashes in my bedroom and I squint in pain from the brightness. "This is why I never drink," I say under my breath.

I throw the sheets to the side and step off of my bed. My nightgown falls to the floor as I stand and I make my way over to the wardrobe. I untie the gown and shrug off the shoulder straps. The gown falls to the floor as I enter the inside of the wardrobe. The lights turn on and I wince in pain again.

"Blossom Wine is never fun the next morning." I slowly step over to the rack of attire I have hanging in front of me. I run my hands over the soft clothing choices and feel all the different fabrics---I have so many clothes now. Knowing I don't even wear most of them--how frivolous.

I still feel uneasy about having that luxury. When I was on Jakku, all I had was tattered scavenger's clothing. I never thought I would one day own more clothing than I needed. My mind wanders back to my hardships and time on Jakku. It all seems so distant now that I feel as though it's becoming less real. So much has happened to me since the day I met BB8---all those years ago.

"Jakku." I shake my head and grab a white pair of pants and a shirt in a drawer. As I finish putting them on, I grab a tan-colored belt on the dresser table and wrap it around my mid-section. I find two rows of boots and formal shoes on a shelf nearby.

"Practical, Poe---I like, practical." I smile grabbing a pair of dark gray ankle boots on the bottom shelf. They are the only ones that look like they can handle an adventure without falling apart or becoming uncomfortable.

Turning and walking out of the wardrobe I head over to the refresher and the lights flick on at my entrance. My eyes have gotten used to the brightness, so my head does not sting as much. I find my hair tie on the vanity and look into the mirror at my reflection.

My face, no matter how hard I try it's growing hard from the years of sadness. The memory of my dream with Ben floods my mind and I choke back falling tears. I slowly raise my right hand and trace my lips. Following the motion he made on my mouth makes me feel comforted somewhat.

"That dream felt so real. I will do anything to make that dream real---no matter the cost." Sadness washes over me.

I shake it off and grab my tie and lift my long hair into a tight single bun on my head---tightening the band to secure my hair in place. I get my hands wet with cold water from the sink and dab my eyes and cheeks. Anything to make my face look untroubled, so Finn will not ask questions.

Walking out of the refresher I head to the dining room in my suite. I see that a chef droid has already brought up my breakfast and set it on the table. I take a seat in the large chair and open the covering.

A fresh array of fruits and bread are before me. I dig in and devour my food. I still do not like eating in front of people---I like to use this time for quiet reflection and thought. Finishing my slices of bread, I start on the pieces of red fruit. Taking a bite of the juicy item, I get a troubling thought that I've forgotten something. I chew slowly and look around the room to identify the mystery behind my feeling.

I glance over at the desk in the corner and notice there's still a Holocron on the table.

Rolling my eyes at my forgetfulness and I shake my head slightly. Rising from my chair, I make my way over and grab the item off the table and head back to the dining area. I take my seat back where my breakfast is and grab the unfinished piece of fruit. I set the Holocron down and hit the play button.

Stopping mid-bite into my fruit as I am left speechless by the figure staring back at me.

A man with a deformed face and mechanical armor sits before me in the Holocron recording. He looks visibly upset. His eyes hold decades of sadness and hatred.

"Day sixty-seven. My newest attempt failed to bring her back. The Dark side of the Force surrounds this place now more than ever---it's growing. I feel as though I'm being deceived by the Dark Lord, Momin. I'm questioning everything now. My once strong resilience is waning. Research into the Dwartii reveals contradicting information with what I'm being told by Lord Momin. I'm starting to believe the only way to bring someone back from the Spirit World is if they are one with the Force. Padme...she..." the message cuts off.

The fruit drops out of my hand back on the plate and I can't breathe. I try to stand and the room starts spinning. I fall from my stance onto the floor and brace my fall with my hands. No matter how hard I try, I cannot breathe. Everything is making sense and yet even more questions and uncertainty arise. Closing my eyes, I reach out to the Force. I become surrounded by familiar energy that's comforting for my mind. Slowly, I begin to regain my breath and can breathe normally. The room stops spinning and I sit on the floor by the table. Memories, thoughts, and anguish swirl in my mind like a deadly cocktail.

"It's time."

I stand as quickly as possible and run to the door. I rush out the suite and sprint down the hall to the private elevator. Hitting the button and the lift doors fly open---running inside and smash the office level button and hit it as many times and as fast as I can.

"Go, go, go, go, go, go, go!" I scream.

The door closes and the descent to the office floor begins. I arrive at the floor where I know Finn and Poe will be waiting for me. I push past office workers and run with everything I have to Poe's office.

Sprinting past his secretary, "I don't need you to let me in!" I yell at her.

I will the doors open and see both Poe and Finn at Poe's desk. At the entrance breathing heavily and glaring---I walk over, still panting, to his desk.

Finn is standing, following me with his eyes as his mouth hangs open in confusion. Poe rose from his chair and is frozen by my dramatic entrance.

I take a seat down and usher with my hand for them both to sit.

"You seem rested?" Poe says sarcastically.

"Rey, what's happened?" Finn asks softly but still confused.

"We leave for Hutta, now!"