Day 365

Day 365

1 day. No longer was it days, plural, it was now just one. One day. What do you do when you know that it's your last day to live? Do you do something you've never done before? Do you just lie in bed doing nothing?

I sat up. I felt fine. Maybe the whole virus killing you after 365 days was just some cruel hoax. Too bad I didn't actually believe that. I showered quickly and went to the dining room. Mom, Lilian, and Tim filed in at the same time that I did. By the look on their faces you would have thought that they were going to a funeral.

"Hey guys," I nodded to them as I sat down.

"Hey," they solemnly replied in unison.

"Guys I'm not dead yet so stop with the funeral looks," I commanded.

"Max it's kind of hard to do," Tim said.

"Please you guys, do it for me?"

"Okay," mom said.

I could clearly tell that they were willing to do anything to make my last day a good one.

"I have an idea," I announced.

"What is it?" Lilian asked.

"How about we spend the day together? Not here but on some island somewhere. I'll just get Avery's Masker friend to tell me how you mask something and then we can be alone. Just the four of us."

"I think that would be great," mom smiled weakly.

I stood up to leave.

"Aren't you going to wait for Pete to make us breakfast?" Lilian asked.

"Okay," I sat back down.

This would be my last breakfast with everyone and I wanted to spend it with them. Pete came in but no one really felt like eating and he finally left frustrated. I tried to make conversation but no one seemed to want to talk.

"Well, I'll just go and see if I can find Avery," I wiped imaginary crumbs from my face.

Mom hugged me and I left. It was almost like they thought I would just drop suddenly. I found Avery walking out of Louise's office.

"Hey Avery," I said.

"Hey Max, Louise is in her office."

"Actually I wanted to ask you something."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, do you think I could talk to the Masker that went with us yesterday?"

"Sure but what for?"

"I want to spend my last day alone with my mom, Lilian, and Tim. I figured we could go to some island somewhere and so I need to learn how to mask us."

"Oh, follow me."

Avery led me down the street and to the house where I had seen the one lady making flowers grow. He knocked on the door and the flower growing lady opened it.

"Good morning Mrs. Fox."

"Good morning Avery."

"Is Dave home?"

"Yes he is, just a minute."

Mrs. Fox closed the door and a minute later the Masker from yesterday opened it.

"Yeah Avery?"

"Max here wants to know how to mask things."

"It's really quite simple," he turned to me, "all you have to do is envision that your body's energy is hidden. Every living things has sort of an energy output and that's how the Sensers look for you. Envision the energy. If you mask the energy then they can't find it."