Day 359

Day 359

days. I woke up with my teeth chattering. I had somehow managed to throw the blanket off of me during the night. It seemed as though the room was even colder than yesterday. My breathe made small tufts of steam in the air. I pressed my back against the wall and shifted back and forth into a standing position. I was so cold I had to do something.

I jogged to the door and turned around. I twisted the handle but it was still locked as usual. I jogged back to the other wall and turned, making laps around the room. Soon my body started to warm up and my teeth finally stopped chattering. I continued to jog around the room.

The door opened, after I jogged countless times around the room, and Charles came in followed by the same VD as yesterday. Charles was faithfully holding the ray gun which was pointed at my chest again.

"Let's go," Charles motioned for me to follow the VD.

"Why," I spat out at him.

He laughed at me.

"You really think that I care if your dead or not? Everyone else thinks you are the key to having the most power in the world but I don't. If you don't follow my orders then you'll be deader than a doorknob in seconds. NOW MOVE!"

I was startled by his sudden outbreak. He had always seemed to be an okay person. I shuffled after the VD not wanting to give him any reason to want to kill me. I didn't think that he actually would but by the way he sounded, I wasn't going to chance it.

We moved down the many halls and then an idea came to me. I followed the VD around one corner and then stopped suddenly and pressed my body against the wall. The VD continued walking unaware that I wasn't following him anymore. 

Charles rounded the corner unsuspectingly and I kicked out with my leg. It connected with the hand that held the gun and the ray gun bounced down the hall. I could feel that my powers were back and I took off down the hall in the opposite way we had been heading.

I was going to be free! I ran around a corner and spotted a skylight in the ceiling. I decided that I could probably fly right through it and I jumped into the air. Suddenly I couldn't move or see anything. It got very cold and felt like I was encased in a block of ice. 

I pressed hard against the ice and it shattered. I fell to the ground. Looking up I saw Charles standing ten feet away from me with the ray gun pointed at me once again. Standing next to him was a cruel looking man. He had curly black hair, a long pointy nose, and an average sized figure. The expression on his face was one of pure hate and I actually recoiled a bit.

"Don't ever try to escape again," the man growled.

A knife made out of ice was suddenly in his hand and he threw it at me. I couldn't move. I looked down and my feet were frozen by the ice to the floor. My eyes grew wide as the knife flew at my chest. It stopped merely inches from me and flew back to the man's hand.

"Try that again and next time I won't stop my knife," he said cruelly.

I nodded nervously. 

"Let's go," Charles said gruffly.

I turned and saw that the VD had come back. I once again followed him down the hall. Charles kept me in his sight constantly and when we would turn the corners I watched him skirt around them widely, out of the corner of my eye.

We walked down the many halls and I realized we were headed the same direction as yesterday. They were taking me to the same place. I knew that I couldn't survive another day of the testing. Yesterday's testing had completely worn me out. The VD stopped in front of the same door he had before and unlocked it with his card.