Day One

Author's Note:

So I was just sitting around when this idea suddenly came to me (as well as like three other ones) and so I wrote a chapter. I was just wondering if you think this is a good story so far. Feel free to leave your comments below! ↓↓↓

Day One

The sun was just starting to make its way down the skyline in the small town of Ionia, Michigan. The few people that were still out and about were quickly making their way toward home. I stood in line with about fifty or so others my age waiting till they could get to me. The VDs, or Virus Detectors, were dressed in what looked like a weird space suit.

Big gray boots, white pants and shirt, and a gray helmet totally obscured their face. They had taken great pains to make sure that there was no possible way for them to get the virus. Ever since the brief nuclear war had taken place almost a year ago, things had been a bit shaken up. The missiles and bombs that had been launched and released had totally destroyed a number of various towns. The war would have lasted longer had a deadly virus not been discovered.

When the virus had been discovered, a peace treaty was made so that the scientists could try and find a cure. No one knew exactly where the virus came from but most guessed it was the result of the high levels of radiation. This virus would attack your body and was unique in the fact that it gave you exactly one year to live. Every week we would have to go and get checked to see if anyone had the virus. The scientists are still unclear as to how the virus spreads.

At first, it been a frightening situation, being poked with a needle by the VDs, now it was no more than something that we just did. No one had been found to have the virus in a while and no one was really worried about it.

I looked at my watch and hoped that it wouldn't take too long. My parents don't like it when I'm late for dinner. I would have been closer to the front of the line had it not been for Mr. David getting on my case again at school.

I hadn't really meant to throw my pencil at Darcy but it had slipped out of my hand and whacked her right in the nose. She had held her head high and called on Mr. David with her whinny little voice. Of course Mr. David didn't believe anything that I said. Darcy was the teacher's pet and she could get him to believe anything.

The Virus Detectors waved the line forward and the shifting caused me to break from my train of thought. I watched as one of the VDs pricked the finger of a tall blonde girl. She didn't make a wince and I admired her for that. A few seconds later the VD waved her away and I watched as her curls bounced with every step she took.

"You gonna move?" the kid behind me asked.

"Yeah, sorry," I mumbled.

The kid behind me rolled his eyes and I quickly moved forward. Suddenly there was a beeping noise from one of the devices that a VD held. We all knew that the beeping meant he had the virus. Everyone froze and then slowly backed up. A short skinny kid wearing a scared expression was left standing alone next to the VD.

Even though he was covered from head to tow in protective clothing and wore a face mask, the VD also stepped back. No one wanted to have even the slightest chance of contracting the virus. The kid turned and bolted for a nearby alleyway causing several screams and everyone to run.

I stood spellbound as the VD pulled out a gun.

Bang.

The kid fell as though in slow motion, a small round hole now in his head. I forced myself to turn my own head as red liquid formed a pool around his prone body. Just like that, the boy’s short life had ended. When I looked back some VDs had already moved his body into the building behind them and were cleaning up the mess.

"Everyone who has not yet been tested form a line in front of me," the VD who had fired the gun commanded.

No one moved. We were all too shaken up from what had just happened. He had just shot a young boy.

"MOVE," he shouted.

This time everyone obeyed and I jumped forward hoping to get toward the front. I wanted to get this over with as soon as possible. My parents would probably understand once I told them what had happened here. I didn't think that I would be eating anything tonight.

Finally it was my turn and I held out my hand for the VD.

"Name?"

"Max Jonson."

I relaxed my muscles so that the prick wouldn't hurt and watched as he moved the device to my pointer finger. He pressed a button and I felt a sharp but quick jab. I held my breath as I waited for the device to check my DNA.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Time seemed to stand still. Everyone knew that if the device beeped then you had the virus. Memories flashed across my mind of my family and friends. I knew that I would never be able to see them again.

I would be put in quarantine and that's all I knew because once you went, you never came back. The VD looked at the reading on the device and frowned. I could barely make out his muffled voice as he talked into a microphone inside his face mask.

"That's two kids today Greg. It's getting worse."

I couldn't hear whoever Greg was but by the look on the VD's face it must not have been good. He turned to me pulled out some handcuffs and put them around my wrists.

"No funny business or you'll end up like Charlie."

I nodded quickly. Charlie must have been the kid they had shot. A hood was placed over my head and I was led into what must have been the building behind where the VDs had set up. I was led around and around and pretty soon I thought we were just going in circles when finally we stopped.

"What are you doing here? You know the protocol, George."

"We can't just kill him like the others, I think he might make a good candidate."

I wondered what they were talking about. We had always been told that they took you to quarantine if you had the virus and what was this about being a good candidate?

"You've said that about the last ten or so."

"I know, I know, but I really think that he might be different."

"You've said that too."

"Please Greg, just this one. Do it for me?"

The man named Greg sighed.

"Fine, but just this one. Drug him and take him to the cleaning bay. We can't let him know where he's going."

"Thanks Greg, you’re a great guy you know. You're nice and cool and-"

"Oh, shut up and get on with it."

I felt a sharp jab on my thigh and involuntarily winced. I could feel a strange liquid seeping into my body and making its way to my brain. I tried to fight the feeling of drowsiness but it was too much. My world disappeared as I blacked out.