Day 356

Day 356

10 days. I opened my eyes and drank in the the smell of the fresh air. The sun was shining down brightly on my little dwelling place. I turned to my other side and jumped off of the mattress. The food that I had grabbed yesterday was strewn across the ground. 

Most of it had been eaten and what had been spared was covered in dirt. I walked around rummaging for anything left. I triumphantly held up a container of Pringles. It was the only thing that had been left untouched. It must have been raccoons or something. I glanced at the mess and wondered how I had slept through it. At least they didn't bother me, but now I would have to find more food.

I still remembered where the food market was from yesterday so finding something else to eat shouldn't be a problem. I stuffed one of the chips into my mouth with a satisfying crunch. The lime and black pepper flavor seemed to dance over my tongue. It was so good!

Greedily I stuffed the Pringles one by one into my mouth devouring them. I reached into the container for another and felt nothing but crumbs. They weren't any more! I tilted the container up and poured the crumbs into my mouth and threw the empty can on the ground. I thought about picking the trash up but it was literally everywhere!

I was surprisingly filled up by the chips and decided to do some exploring before I went to get more food. I already knew that there weren't any people in this section of town so I flew to the top of the bridge without a second thought. 

Flying was fun but I wanted to see everything up close so I stuck to walking. The rubble in this part of town was really bad. It looked almost as though it had been directly hit! I walked down one of the streets dodging piles of bricks and huge cracks in the pavement. 

There was an odd smell permeating the air. It was like a cross between dead fish and Ramen noodles. It was anything but appetizing. I quickened my pace hoping to get away from the sickening odor.

I had gone maybe another mile through the winding streets of the town exploring the different building that had been destroyed and still the smell was there. I had this eerie feeling that someone or something was watching me.

Absentmindedly, I turned down one street. It turned out to be a long alley and as I neared the end I saw there was no way to get out. It was a dead end. Just as I was about to fly off I heard a can fall behind me and clang across the pavement. 

I whipped around but saw nothing there. Slowly I turned back, but as soon as my back had turned another can clanged to the ground. I used my super speed this time and spun around. Something jumped into the street that I had just been on, hiding from view before I could make out what it was.

Slowly I crept closer to the street, my hands balled up in tight fists ready to use my strength to fight off anything that came at me. I jumped into the street just in time to see a tail swish around the corner of the next street over. It looked like it was a lizards tail only from what I saw it must be one big lizard! The tail had been at least two feet in diameter at the very end!

I felt a little apprehensive at following the unseen creature but I brushed it away. I ran to the next street and once again caught only the sight of the tail disappearing around another corner. I chased the creature through the streets wanting desperately to find out what it was. I don't know why but it bugged me that  the creature was so elusive. I even used my super speed to run after it but still it managed to show only its tail.

Finally I decided to give up. One more street and then I was gonna head for the food market. The next street was more of a small side alley with a solid gate blocking its entrance. The gate was still swinging slightly from being recently pushed open. I pushed my way in and began to walk down the long alley. For some reason it seemed to be darker than the others.