Day 362

Day 362

4 days. It was hard to believe that I had such a short time. I rubbed my eyes and headed for the bathroom. I took a cold shower to help wake myself up. For some reason I felt extremely sleepy this morning. I felt fine after the cold shower and woke everyone else up.

The went through their normal morning routine. Lilian had made everyone appear normal again and it was nice having everyone to the way they usual were. While we ate breakfast, scrambled eggs and toast, I thought about something. I only had four days left. Should I tell everyone? They should probably know but I would hate to ruin everyone's day with such bad news. Finally I decided to just get it over with. Better to do it sooner than later.

"Um, guys...." I wasn't sure how to start.

Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at me expectantly.

"I only have four days left including today."

There, it was out. Silence fell on the table. Everyone slowly started eating again. The silence was broken only by the clanging of the forks on the plates.

"So soon?" mom finally spoke.

"Yes," I choked out.

Then it seemed as if everyone snapped out of whatever they were in and everyone seemed to be talking at the same time.

"Why didn't you tell us earlier that you had so few days?"

"Are you sure that you only have four days?"

"Four days! What are we going to do?"

I held up my hands.

"Whoa, hold on you guys. This is exactly why I didn't tell you earlier, I knew you would flip out," I said angrily.

"Flip out? What do you think I would do after just recently finding out that your father is dead," mom stormed out of the room.

I started to get up and go after her, but Lilian put her hand on my arm.

"Give her some space," Lilian said knowingly.

I settled back in my chair. I wasn't done with being angry with people yet.

"What about YOU!" I jammed my finger in Lilian's direction, "You told me that you lied to me about how many days you had but never told me why or how many days you actually have."

Tim looked like he was feeling out of place but was afraid to leave in case I yelled at him too. A sad look came into Lilian's eyes as she answered my question.

"The people I worked for back at EVDA made me lie to you. They didn't tell me why and at the time I did everything they said. I have two more days than you do, Max."

Immediately I regretted yelling at Lilian. She only had two more days than I did. No wonder she looked sad. Silence fell on the room again and after a while I placed my plate next to the sink and went to find mom. She was sitting on her bed looking at something. I went over and sat next to her. She was looking at a picture. It was of me sitting on dad's shoulders. Both of us were smiling and laughing. I recognized it as the one from the park.

"You always did like that park," mom said quietly.

"Where did you get that picture?"

"Oh, it's my favorite one of the men in our family so I keep it in my purse."

We looked at it for a while longer and then she tucked the photo back in her purse.

"I'm sorry that I yelled at you like that. It's just hard with everything that's been going on lately."