Day Eight

Day Eight

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Stupid alarm. With my eyes still closed I reached over to where I had set the alarm on my desk. I couldn't feel it with my hand and just as I opened one eye I managed to knock it to the floor. I heard it break and figured I should get out of bed.

I swung my feet off the bed and stood up. A sharp pain shot through my leg and I fell back to the bed. I crossed my legs so I could see my foot. Stuck into my heal was a jagged piece of black plastic. I winced as I gingerly pulled it out and was amazed to see that a whole inch of it had gone into my heel.

Dark red blood oozed from the gash on the bottom of my foot. The blood stopped and I stared in fascination as the wound seemed to be disappearing before my eyes. I could almost see the skin re-attaching itself as the wound fully closed.

If I wasn't questioning myself before this surely made me do so. Now I knew for sure that there was something different about me. That was part of the reason that I had set my alarm for 4:00 A.M. so I could get up early and kind of test myself out.

I knew I was capable of talking to Lilian in my mind and wondered if it was because she had been tested on as well. I had tried to talk to other people but no one responded when I threw out my greetings in my mind.

I also knew that I could fight really well and shoot bullets stupendously. There had been that one time when time had seemed to slow down and now I had just found out that my skin would heal itself rapidly. Fifteen minutes had passed as I dressed in my dark blue t-shirt with black jeans and gray shoes. I was ready to go and try and figure out just what I could do.

My door didn't make a sound as I slowly opened it and crept down the long hallway. I wasn't trying to be sneaky, I just didn't want to wake anyone up. I went down the flight of stairs and turned left to the door. There was a guard standing by the door decked out in the black combat gear. I hoped that I could get some gear for myself, they looked pretty cool!

I tried to walk as normal as I could and I made it outside without being stopped so I guess it wasn't illegal or anything to go out early. I turned right, on 5th street, and headed to the old baseball field. I hoped that no one would be there this early. 

Thankfully the field was deserted and I headed to the far end. I was hidden from sight on three sides by a grove a trees so I didn't have to worry about being seen easily. I stood still and breathed deeply and then I sent out a hello with my mind. I still thought there had to be at least someone else besides Lilian and I who had abilities. I was met with silence and I sighed.

Suddenly I spun around and caught the arrow that had been speedily shot at me. The tip was shiny metal and I knew it was no ordinary arrow. I had stopped the arrow inches from my forehead and I heard someone gasp from in the trees.

"Who's there?"

No one answered and I scanned the grove of trees carefully. I focused on trying to find the mysterious person and suddenly I just knew where she was. I faced the tree they were hiding behind. There was a clump of bushes at its base making it the perfect hiding place.

"I know where you are."

The bushes parted and a girl stepped out with a bow drawn back. I shifted to one foot.

"Don't move."

I stared at the girl in front of me. She looked to be my age and had long black curls that cascaded almost to her waist. She was wearing dark blue jeans and a black t-shirt with a brown vest over it. Her eyes were hazel with specks of yellow and I found myself staring at her eyes.