Chapter 19-Chance Meetings

Chapter 19….

‘Oh Emily stop being so shy! I don’t see a problem in it’ Mum defends crossing her arms at me. I cross my own looking at the floor insecure for a moment as I think over her words. ‘Come on Emily…’.

‘It’s just…. Is it….. are we….. well’ I begin and stop looking up at the ceiling now. Mum rolls herself towards the fridge and I lean myself against the counter. ‘I mean you don’t even know him so… and you’re just gonnna-‘. I stir the vegetables in the stir fry.

‘Some help?’ she interrupts as I walk over and lift the butter down from the top shelf in the fridge handing it down to her as she goes back to the stove. It was still hard for her to reach even though we had gotten a separate fridge and freezer (not stacked on top of each other) so it would be easier for her.  ‘Chop these’ she instructs and I make a face at the back of her head. ‘What kind of man these days-‘.

‘Boy’ I correct.

‘Rescues-‘.

‘Well I wouldn’t call it rescue’.

‘Someone off the street like that and carries her back home because he can see driving her would only complicate things. To think on his feet and look in her purse, not take anything out, but find out where she lives-‘ I shake my head as she continues, not helping but to smile. ‘So I believe the considerate thing to do is to invite him to our thank you dinner.’

I watch her strain her neck to see how much she’s put in the pan and puts in the rest of the chicken I have chopped before resting back against the counter.

It wasn’t the whole truth and I was beating myself up for it inside, but I knew anything was better than the truth. It must be. Even though I didn’t know who was behind it all and some details, I could tell. My family knowing it would break their hearts, but not only that they’ll lock me up.

‘Yes, okay’.

Mum turns her chair and smiles a brilliant smile at me. ‘Is that a yes yes?’ she persists. I tilt my head back and laugh. ‘Oh my god mum!’.

‘Well!’.

‘Yes!’ I tell her and smile. ‘That’s what I wanted to hear’ she turns back to the stove while simply suggesting… ‘Hey maybe he’s good looking huh?’.

If only you knew how so.

~

I was walking through the dark dusted hallways of the warehouse and strangely enough I felt comfortable. This place was where I first met Adam and Sam together. I heard the familiar sounds now of males grunting and being slammed against mats and felt a smile creep onto my face. What a manly place I was entering right now… bring on the sweaty body odours!

Before fully entering the massive hall where they held the fights I look around back from the hallway, a little in the dark. People were being taught and were training themselves. Looking determined and almost deadly.

I take a good look around as I slowly walk forward. I saw double doors into another room swing open briefly as someone walks out with a towel around his shoulders, where I saw a brief glimpse of set shoulders and a messy set of hair.

I walk in and find this whole new practice ring in the middle with mirrors on the far wall. Sam and Adam looked to be training as I lean against the wall, arms crossed and stay quiet for a moment.

Sam was breathing hard and wiped some sweat off his brow I was guessing, since his back was facing me and Adam was in front of him slightly. ‘Do you reckon I’ll be ready?’ Sam asks.

Adam was silent for a moment as he put away his mits. ‘Yes, just keep in mind who you’re doing this f-‘.

Adam stops talking as soon as his eyes find mine and I grin. ‘Does Sam have a fight coming up?’ I ask Adam, since Sam was still turned around head tilted down. They look at each other for a moment and Sam shrugs from behind as Adam scrunches his face. ‘Can I come?’.

Sam then turns his head over his right shoulder and glances at me before turning back around to pull off his finger tape. I look up and watch Sam as he slowly shakes his head, taking a long drink from his bottle. But Adam nods.

Sam quickly hits Adam with his shoulder while drinking and Adam begins to shake his head at me. I glare at Sam as he finally faces me properly and he simply smirks at me eyeing me back. My eyes turn to slits and I swing my right ankle against my left leg still leaning against the wall.

‘Em don’t take offence but this fight won’t be a place for you’.

‘And let’s leave it there shall we?’ Sam interrupts Adam and swings under the ring’s ropes down to ground level walking to his bag. I follow him.

‘Why?’ I ask simply. Sam stops packing and turns. ‘Okay simply because it’s not a place for you’ he shrugs and turns back again. I reach over and pull back his should so he faced me again. ‘Why?’ I persist, I was confused. ‘I’ve been to fights before…-‘.

‘Not like this one…’ Sam replies forcibly, but gently removes my hand from his bare shoulder. Luckily he was wearing a tank top…

I stare a little shocked at his reaction and see him go through the double doors back out to the main hall room. I look back to where Adam had watched us and he pulls his lips together kind of like ‘Sorry babe’.

Realisation. ‘He isn’t in danger is he? Of really hurting himself?’ I ask Adam up in the ring. He doesn’t answer me so I begin again a little more angrily. ‘He isn’t in-!’.

‘Not in any more than previous fights… come here Em’ I walk over and use the steps around the far side of the ring and duck under the ropes. Adam places his large hands on my shoulders. ‘Don’t worry about him Em… it’s Sam.’ He winks at me and a small smile touches my lips. ‘How ‘bout we see what you have learnt so far hey? A little friendly combat round. Me against you’.

I laugh.

Sam’s Pov.

I storm outside into the main hall room and take a deep breath. God, I hated this…. I hated this so much! I ball my hands into fists and try to control my emotions rolling inside of me.

Okay Adam was right… remember who you are doing this for… I walk back towards the doors and see Em now in the ring with her small fists under her chin ready to confront Adam. I chuckle as Adam ducks easily under Em’s swing.

I stand there and watch with amusement as Emily ducks and runs to the side laughing as Adams punches her lightly of course, in the side of her torso. Her hair waves in front of her eyes and she accidently trips over her own feet as Adam tries to grab her. She grabs her stomach, but holds up her hands quickly in surrender.

‘Sam!’ I glance behind me and my smile fades as George beckons me from his office. I sigh running a hand over my hair.

--Hope you like it! More coming your way! (please keep supporting this story)