Chapter 29-Chance Meetings

Enjoy!

Chapter 29

My head was in a daze and my mouth was too dry as I tried my best to concentrate in class. This morning Dan had cornered me and demanded where his car was. It dawned on me that it was still out of town where Sam’s fight was and I didn’t have it in me to lie to him.

‘It’s out of town…’.

‘Say what! Why the hell would it be out of town? Where did you go last Friday?’ I swallow trying to look anywhere but at my brother.

‘I met up with a friend outside of town and he gave me a ride home. I completely forgot about your car…. I’m really sorry Dan’ he looks me in the eye and sees how sincere I was being. But he must have also seen something crazy because before I knew it he was hugging me. Yes, Dan, my big, smelly, egocentric brother was showing real affection.

Dan pulls away first and smiles a little shyly, but his eyes quickly change. ‘Wait. Outside of town with a friend… Sam?’ he asks.

‘Ah…-‘.

‘What happened to your face?’ I step back a little and frown but I know he wasn’t joking around, he meant my cheek. Shit.

‘Did you and Sam get attacked again? Or was it Sam who hit-’ I breathe a huge breath out and clamp my hand on Dan’s mouth. Leaning in I warn him in a low tone of voice.

‘Don’t you dare tell Mum and Dad Dan, I mean it. I’m fine. I’ll try and get your car back but right now I have a lot of stress going on. Promise me you won’t tell them before me’. He looks me up and down before carefully nodding in reply. I let my hand fall but before I leave for college Dan whispers, ‘You’ve changed Emie’.

‘Em hold up!’ I turn around and see Jake jogging towards me with a huge grin the size of a hamburger. When he finally catches up he says, ‘Gosh it feels like I haven’t seen you in ages!’.

‘You saw me last week Jake’ he looks at me like I’ve grown two heads, breathing fire.

‘You sure are Miss Don’t Talk To Me today aren’t you?’ he smiles and chuckles before shoving me under his armpit. ‘Come on E…. lighten up, plus I have good news’.

I look up at him as we dodge people through the hallways as conjoined twins.

‘Callen and I are hitting it off! He totally gets me and we like the same things’.

I smile, ‘That’s amazing Jake! I’m really happy for you both’. Jake hugs me tighter to his side and rubs my arm.

‘Thanks, wanna grab a coffee?’

I wince as I have to decline. ‘Sorry I’m  going to the hospital to visit a friend…’.

Jake smiles kindly and kisses my forehead having reached the parking lot. ‘Next time then. See you soon Em! Stay beautiful!’ he shouts before heading the opposite direction to his car. I loved my best friend.

The duration of my drive to the hospital to visit Sam I wondered what kind of condition he would be in, if his wounds were healing or if he just hasn’t changed.

Beep!

I step out of the elevator and walk to his door. Before I can reach the knob the door was already being pulled open by the same nurse from Saturday.

‘Hello’ I smile in surprise and quickly look down at her name badge. Sandra.

‘Hello, back to visit?’ I nod almost eagerly before asking how he was.