Chapter 34-Chance Meetings {Part 2}

part 2

PREVIOUSLY

‘EMILY!’

I sit up and once my dream dazes passed the reality, I understand why the house was so brightly lit. ‘MUM!’

I swing back the covers, push my feet in my slippers and run quickly for my parent’s bedroom. ‘Emily I’m here! We’re here!’ their distresses reach my ears and I look passed the living room couches to see Dad and Mum opening the back door. ‘Quick Emie! We need to get out of here!’

That brings me into focus, the thick smoke from some burning fire close by reaches my airways and I drop to the floor. That wasn’t the sun coming through my window, it was fire!

‘Dad!’

I cough repeatedly with my palms pressed against the floorboards before I’m lifted into my Father’s arms. Struggling to filter the oxygen I press my nose into my Dad’s pajamas, goose bumps rising once he carries me out of our burning house. ‘What the hell is going on!?’ I scream tears streaking my cheeks as I hear loud sirens erupt through the ice cold still air.

‘It’s going to be alright honey… Shhh… it’s all insured, it’s going to be alright’ Dad whispers placing me on my feet so he could push Mum along the side of the house that wouldn’t endanger us. 

Sirens were blaring down the neighbourhood with people rushing outdoors in the crisp night air to see what the commotion was about, lights flashed as they reached our flaming house and through tears I prayed not all of our cherished memories inside this house would be disintegrated.

Sam’s Pov

Bzzzz Bzzzzz Bzzzzzz

‘Hello?’

‘Sam.’

My muscles contract anxiously as my spine goes rigid and I rub my eyes of sleep. That voice sent alarm sirens ringing and blinking didn’t make it any less real.

’20 questions as to where I am at this moment,’ background noise I could only decipher as crackling and rustling before he spoke again.

‘No? I’ll give you a clue…. Beautiful neighbourhood, cozy house, lovely family I’m sure….. Any ideas yet?’ his daring smile flashed through my mind and I sat up on Dan’s sofa bed. Pieces fell together too easily and my heart drummed in my chest.

‘QUINN-!’

‘Ah-ah-ah. Don’t want to be waking anyone. Listen good Sam. You stay the hell away from my business and if I hear one peep of you snooping around, or in any kind of relations to destroy me… watch your back. I believe I have your attention now.’

Silence.

‘Dan! Wake up! I think your family is in trouble!’

Emily’s Pov

Paramedics were checking my airways and looking over vitals for smoke inhalation. Tears constantly swam in the rims of my eyes and every few seconds I sniffed back a sob at the blurred sight in front of me. My childhood home was being hosed down and a crowd has gathered offering support.

Was this real?

The adrenaline coursing through my blood stream would suggest yes, this was more real than I would like. ‘Where is Emily?’

Blinking, I search with my eyes between all faces only wanting to find one. ‘S-Sam!’ I brokenly yell from the back of the paramedic car, hoping he could hear me over everything else going on around me.

People were stepping out of the way and soon Sam could be seen running over to me. My heart flooded with warmth and the lady assessing me kindly took the initiative to leave us for a moment.

He reaches me, his hands cupping my face and emotions spill. I grab hold onto his arms and look into his understanding gaze. I could see how he felt about me in that moment he saw tears leak down the sides of my face. Pulling me into an embrace so comforting all I could do is enjoy the smell of his familiar cologne, the strong arms encircled around me and how they made me feel like nothing could ever harm me again.

‘Shhh…. I’m here. I’m here. Don’t be afraid, you’re alright.’

‘Sam my house-‘

‘Don’t think about that right now, just let me be here for you.’ He pulls back and looks me in the eye, determination clear, and cups my cheeks again. Leaning our foreheads together I take a much needed breath to calm my heart and take control of my emotions. Fingertips brush my sides and I know that Sam is making sure I wasn’t hurt anywhere.

‘I love you.’

They came out as easy and flued as breathing, yet I surprised myself into shock. Had I really just said those words? I chance a look at Sam and from his expression I found my answer. Oh God, oh God, oh God! What would he say? Would he say anything at all? What if he doesn’t say it back? Was it the truth? Did I love him?

My mind was running a hundred miles an hour and I had no chance of slowing down, though I hadn’t realised that Sam was failing to gather my attention.

‘Emily,’ he was fighting a smile against my frown and was gently caressing my arms. Was that a good sign? Was it a bad sign?

Leaning in closer he nuzzled his nose along the side of my neck and I shut my eyes against my will, feeling his lips at my ear. ‘I’m in love with you Em, more and more each second I spend with you.’

Opening my eyes I turn my head and capture his lips with mine, no kiss ever powered behind so much conviction.

 --- THANKYOU to those who vote. The consideration powers me to get these uploads up faster. But sadly not enough people are finding the short amount of time it takes to click 'VOTE'. 

Hope you like it anyway! Be sure to leave any votes or comments with your thoughts and feelings. Good or Bad. :)

reminder-----THIS STORY IS NOT OVER. YET. ;)