Chapter 34-Chance Meetings {Part 1}

May be mistakes, so watch out!!! Haven't uploaded in a while and I apologise for that. Hope you do enjoy and give it a vote if it was worth your reading.

Chapter 34 PART 1

Chapter 34- woooo

Twirling the phone cord around my finger I sighed. ‘Are you sure?’

He chuckles. ‘Yes, I’m sure Travis is really sick. Emily it would be a great help if you came in tonight. I know it’s Friday and you have better things to do with your life, but if it makes you feel better….. Maggie is working tonight?’

I bite my lip and roll my eyes. ‘Fine Phil. But just this once, I’m supposed to help my brother move out!’

‘See you soon!’

I hang up the phone and sit next to mum on the sofa. I still didn’t understand how she could watch embarrassing bodies, that show is beyond repulsive!

‘I gotta work tonight mumma.’ Leaning my head on her shoulder and play with the tips of her long hair.

‘Did someone call up sick?’

Nodding I straighten to look into her eyes. ‘I was supposed to celebrate Dan moving out after he packs the car, but now I’m stuck in a restaurant’ pouting, Mum laughs enveloping me in a hug.

‘I’m sure there will be plenty of time after work to celebrate. I’ll stay up and wait for you and we can open that tub of ice cream I got you. How about it?’

She knows just how to make me feel better.

‘Thanks Mum!’ I give her a peck on the cheek and walk to my room to change into my work pants.

Sam’s Pov.

‘Careful! Careful! That has the Play Station in it!’ Dan shouts while making aggressive hand gestures. I place the box on top of the others in the boot of the car and with exaggeration slowly step back holding up my hands as if the box might fall any moment. He grunts and shoves another pair of shoes in the side as a response.

‘What’s your deal with my sister anyway?’

Unprepared and searching for the right words I hesitate. I guess she hasn’t told him yet. ‘We’re close friends, nothing more or less. Why do you ask?’ Something must have spurred him on…

‘She’s taking trips out of town, going missing, acting suspicious when I ask her about certain things, getting beaten in the face, and then there’s you’

‘Me?’

‘Yeah, you. Don’t think you can act like everyone else…. You said you worked in construction right?’ he doesn’t wait for an answer. ‘Well it must be a lot more dangerous then they put out to be in movies or traineeships, no way you’ve gotten all those scars from working on building sites.’

I glance down at my clothes as if my scars could be seen through them and keep my hands fisted in my jacket pockets.

‘I use to get in trouble at school a lot, you know occasional punch up’ I shrug and hope that satisfies him. Dan gives me one more look up and down before pulling a face and trudging back inside to retrieve more possessions.

Dan cared about Emily like any brother should, he was just interrogating the wrong man.

~

‘I guess that’s everything then…’ Dan stands back from the, brink of exploding, car and places his hands on his hips.

‘You definitely didn’t forget anything by the looks of it’ I mutter and receive a smile from him.

‘Only took us a couple of hours too.’

We laugh as Dan checks the time on his phone. ‘Almost quarter past… Hey, why don’t you stay over mine for tonight and save yourself driving this late?’ I could tell Dan was cautious about asking but after bonding over guy talk while packing his car, I hoped he was warming up to me. If things worked out with Em, he would be seeing me more often. Plus we both were on the same wave length, to protect Emily.

‘Sure. That would be great’ I smile and he returns it slapping me on the back. His expression turns from friendly to surprise. ‘You’re packing some muscle man… how often do you work out?’ his eyebrows hitched up on his forehead staring at my shoulders.

I shrug and have to chuckle as we head into a whole new conversation starter. ‘The occasional trip to the gym keeps me in check….’

Emily’s Pov

The lock clicks and I close the front door, walking into the living room to find Mum asleep upright. Sighing I pull my hair out of the ponytail and get ready to carefully move her into the chair so I could wheel her into her bedroom. After Mum was tucked into bed I got a spoon from the kitchen drawer and stare aimlessly out to the pitch black backyard through the windows.

The ice cream melts away down my throat and I check my phone to see if I had any messages. Nope.

I felt sick after the fourth spoonful and return it back in the freezer. Brushing my teeth and washing my face, I felt extremely tired even though Phil let me off before clean up and I collapsed into bed. Is Sam really ignoring me? Did he even help Dan out tonight? I didn’t see his car before I left for work and I didn’t get a reply to my text I sent him in my break.

Letting out a long breath I curl under the covers, shivering with the ice layer that now surrounded me closely. Checking my phone one last time I reluctantly shut my eyes and swallowed back the emotions creeping to be released.

~

Smoke.

My eyes blink several times before I register the sun coming through my window, I must have left open a window to have the cold air to greet my face sticking out of my covers and blowing the curtains like that…..

‘EMILY!’

I sit up and once my dream dazes passed the reality, I understand why the house was so brightly lit. ‘MUM!’

I swing back the covers, push my feet in my slippers and run quickly for my parent’s bedroom. ‘Emily I’m here! We’re here!’ their distresses reach my ears and I look passed the living room couches to see Dad and Mum opening the back door. ‘Quick Emie! We need to get out of here!’

That brings me into focus, the thick smoke from some burning fire close by reaches my airways and I drop to the floor. That wasn’t the sun coming through my window, it was fire!

‘Dad!’

I cough repeatedly with my palms pressed against the floorboards before I’m lifted into my Father’s arms. Struggling to filter the oxygen I press my nose into my Dad’s pajamas, goose bumps rising once he carries me out of our burning house. ‘What the hell is going on!?’ I scream tears streaking my cheeks as I hear loud sirens erupt through the ice cold still air.

‘It’s going to be alright honey… Shhh… it’s all insured, it’s going to be alright’ Dad whispers placing me on my feet so he could push Mum along the side of the house that wouldn’t endanger us. 

To be continued......

--- Tomorrow i will make the time to upload the next part to this chapter. It's all i have written that's goood enough to upload.