Ch. 16 (PG-13, S): Jocelyn and Matthew Talk

“Lost & Found” (Revised), Ch.  16 (PG-13, S): Jocelyn and Matthew Talk,   November 28, 2014 Gratiana Lovelace

(An original fiction copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace;  all rights reserved)
[(1) top right, story logo] 

[I will illustrate my story using my dream cast of --Richard Armitage for Matthew Drake, Kate Beckinsale for Jocelyn Burrows, Brenda Blethyn for Aunt Madge, Michael Crawford for Michael Ferguson, Gina McKee for Marcia Glass, James Frain for Vicar Nelson Marshall, Shirley MacLaine for Lucretia Baldridge, and others.] 

Author’s Mature Content Note:  “Lost & Found” is love story with mature themes (D for drama and S for sensuality) of love and relationships.  Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings I provide, then please do not read that chapter.  This is my disclaimer.

Recap from the previous installment:   As the December holidays in London were upon her, a four months pregnant Jocelyn was drawn to attend a reader’s theater performance of the Dickens’ classic, “A Christmas Carol”--about a man who gets a second chance at life, and fitting starring her love Matthew Drake in the title role.  Though she had unexpectedly and awkwardly run into Matthew’s former therapist Marcia Glass, and then Aunt Madge and Michael during the intermission, Jocelyn would not agree to meet Matthew. 

But in waiting out the crush of exiting theatre goers--since she has to be careful not to be jostled or fall in her condition--Jocelyn was caught by Matthew, who instantly strode over to her and took her into his arms. They kissed passionately and adoringly, such that Matthew began to have an inkling about Jocelyn’s secret.  Jocelyn knows that she will have to tell Matthew that she is pregnant with his child.  It is a conversation that she has both longed for and viewed with uncertainty.  But a theatre lobby is too public a place to hold such an intimate discussion.   So Jocelyn and Matthew say farewell to Marcia, Madge, and Michael and head out for a bite to eat--to talk.

“Lost and Found”, Chapter 16 (PG-13, S) Jocelyn and Matthew Talk

After taking a taxi from the theatre the early evening of Friday December 19th, the now confident and recovered Matthew [(2) right]   and Jocelyn arrive at and enter a small and cozy French café.  They have much to discuss about and much to repair in their relationship.  Matthew senses Jocelyn’s unease--his intuition heightened as he gazes at her, by a hopeful perception gained from embracing her in the hotel lobby--such that not even a whisper could pass between then--that only needs her confirmation.

They sit in a booth off to the side and private.  After placing their orders, they look soulfully, longingly, and lovingly at each other.  Matthew holds Jocelyn’s hand, gently stroking it as if he will never let it—or her—depart from his life ever again.  Of course, Jocelyn and Matthew are about to have the most important conversation of their lives.  And its outcome will impact both of their futures.

Jocelyn:  Smiling shyly, Jocelyn sighs sincerely.  “I’m glad to see you looking so well, Matthew.”

Matthew:  “And you Jocelyn, you look well.  I’ve missed you.” He sighs agian.  “We parted so … abruptly—just as we were starting to develop our relationship.”  Matthew gazes lovingly at Jocelyn [(3) right]--and Jocelyn returns his adoring gaze.

Jocelyn:  “Yes, I feel that way, too, Matthew.”  

At first, Jocelyn smiles at Matthew.  But then she lowers her eyes, remembering the rebuke she received from Matthew’s Aunt Madge--for Jocelyn making love with Matthew four months ago.  Jocelyn’s face reflects the hurt she felt then, and that she feels now.  Matthew sees her face saddening and guesses the reason for it.  His voice softens further to soothe her.