Ch. 14 (PG-13): Separation Brings New Beginnings

“Lost & Found” (Revised), Ch.  14 (PG-13):  Separation Brings New Beginnings,  November 23, 2014 Gratiana Lovelace

(An original fiction copyrighted by Gratiana Lovelace;  all rights reserved)
[(1) top right, story logo] 

[I will illustrate my story using my dream cast of --Richard Armitage for Matthew Drake, Kate Beckinsale for Jocelyn Burrows, Brenda Blethyn for Aunt Madge, Michael Crawford for Michael Ferguson, Gina McKee for Marcia Glass, James Frain for Vicar Nelson Marshall, and others.] 

Author’s Mature Content Note:  “Lost & Found” is love story with mature themes (D for drama and S for sensuality) of love and relationships.  Most chapters will be PG or PG-13. However, if you are unable or unwilling to attend a movie with the ratings I provide, then please do not read that chapter.  This is my disclaimer.

Recap from the previous installment:   After Matthew’s therapist Marcia Glass that Madge Drake had banned her from discussing Matthew with Jocelyn--coupled with Aunt Madge refusing to take her calls--Jocelyn realized that she would only make things worse by continuing to try to see Matthew.  Even though Matthew’s secret hope was that he and Jocelyn could meet clandestinely.  So Jocelyn changed hotels on Wednesday, August 18th, determined to try to begin again--while still harboring a faint hope that she and Matthew would one day find each other again.

Matthew confronted his Aunt Madge about her over-reaction to he and Jocelyn becoming lovers.  And privately, his therapist Marcia agrees with him--but she does not reveal Jocelyn’s contact information in her session with him on Friday August 20th.  Instead, Marcia tries to get Matthew to continue to focus on forward progress--in the hope that he can regain control of his life.  And maybe, thinks Matthew, if he tries to interact with others more--as Jocelyn pleaded with him to do when she said goodbye to him Tuesday night--that he then might be able to live his life.  And for Matthew, any life or future that he has, must include Jocelyn in it. 

And for Jocelyn, a chance encounter with a sympathetic person, might help her move forward as well.

“Lost & Found” (Revised), Ch.  14 (PG-13):  Separation Brings New Beginnings 

Continuing her job hunt for a Student Advising position at a London university’s or college’s Study Abroad Programs, Jocelyn contacts the US Consulate on Tuesday, August 24th, a week after she parted from Matthew.  Jocelyn feels friendless in London as she visits the consulate to pick up her approved work visa paperwork. However, she wonders now about the feasibility of her wish to work in London.  Jocelyn escaped from the US because of breaking up with her ex-fiance and her wanting a fresh start.  And now she has unwillingly had to break up with Matthew.  Yet, the pull for Jocelyn to stay in London--where Matthew resides--is too great for her to leave.  Jocelyn’s love for Matthew is too great for her to leave him.  

As Jocelyn sits in the reception area at the large and elegant U.S. Consulate in London--waiting her turn to pick up her approved work visa paperwork--someone with lovely flowery perfume sits down next to her on the couch, and Jocelyn looks up.

Lucretia Baldridge:  “Jocelyn, Dear, we have to stop meeting like this.”  Lucretia teases her cheekily.  “Ha ha ha!” 

Jocelyn: “Oh!  Mrs. Baldridge!  How lovely to see you again!”  Jocelyn smiles sincerely but wanly at the warm and welcoming US ambassador’s wife whom she met at the Sunday Tea party she attended with Matthew over a week ago.

Lucretia Baldridge:   “Are you sure you’re glad to see me?”  Lucretia asks impishly.  “You seem a little down in the dumps, sweetie--to use the American vernacular, if that is allowed when one is in London Town.”  Lucretia [(2) right]  waits patiently for Jocelyn to respond--looking concerned, despite her lovely peach chiffon dress with matching hat, pearls, and a large corsage that shouts look at me.