Side Tracked

Hermione didn’t see Draco again until classes started. Even then it was only from across the room. She tried not to look over at him but it was almost impossible not to. She wanted to know why he hadn’t been in the Great Hall for meals, why she hadn’t bumped into him around the castle; everything.

She may have been weak in the way of thinking about him but she was much stronger when it came to talking to him. She didn’t feel an urge to ask him about all of those things, or even how he was going. The longer she resisted talking to him, the easier it became to endure it.

It was just a moment of weakness. He was an attractive guy and he intrigued her. She wanted to understand, to help him get rid of some of that baggage. After the first night back in class she had so many things running through her mind that she needed to get them out. She needed closure.

She took out a spare piece of parchment and a quill and began staring at the page. It wasn’t long before her thoughts started to spill out.

What do I really know about him? I know that he’s been through a lot, probably more than I have. I know he has a tenuous relationship with his father, with both of his parents really. He’s damaged, he’s in pain, but he can't shake off that cruel act, no matter how much I try to help him. I know he can't help it and that wounds like that don’t heal overnight. Some of us are only just pulling ourselves together. He may have made me feel good but he also brought me to a place that I thought I had moved past. It was a moment of weakness and I need to focus on my studies. There is no place for him anymore. I thought there was but I can't make myself feel this way. I-

Her quill skidded across the page as Ginny sat down by her side.

“What are you working on?” She asked with a smile.

“Oh nothing, just an essay for my ancient runes class.” She lied.

“Sorry if I’m bothering you, I can go if you like.” Hermione sensed there was something that she wanted to talk about.

“No, you can stay. What’s going on?”

“I just thought that maybe you didn’t want to talk to me about some things because of the whole you and Ron thing. Just because he’s my brother doesn’t mean that I’m going to talk to him, about anything. He’s gross and really quite annoying.” Hermione let out a small chuckle.

“That’s not it at all. I just have a few things on my mind that I’m trying to sort out. If I had something worth talking about I would tell you. Honestly I would.” She smiled and Ginny seemed satisfied.

The problem was that she wasn’t. They had a fight and suddenly that was it. There was only one person she could talk to.

“Sorry Ginny, I just remembered a book I was going to look for in the library.” Ginny looked a little disappointed. “Tomorrow night would you mind telling me about Christmas at your house? Properly, I feel like I missed out a little. You and Harry seem to be back to before.”

“I’d be glad to.” She was happier to see Hermione leave after that.

Hermione raced from the common room and towards the east wing hallway. She looked up and down the corridors before heading down to the grounds. She wandered part way around the castle until she saw that familiar blonde hair, sitting down by the lake.

“Luna!” She called.

Luna turned and gave Hermione a delicate smile as she put down her book.

“Hermione, how lovely it is to see you this afternoon.” There has always been something different about Luna.

She wouldn’t dare call her ‘Loony-Lovegood’ as she once had, Luna was anything but loony. She seemed to have more answers than almost anyone else Hermione knew. Maybe it was because she only ever wanted to do what was right, not what was supposed to be done.