Second Thoughts

They finally managed to practise their spells together, like they had originally planned, Hermione didn’t want to push him too much. It took a while before the smile came back to his lips and the dark cloud around him seemed to fade away. Hermione knew that it was still there, but for now, he seemed happy.

She brought up the subject of a patronus in passing but he waved it away, claiming that he wouldn’t be able to do it. He didn’t want to face the disappointment of not being able to, not with her watching him. He knew she would feel sorry for him, but he didn’t want her to.

“I’ll send you a note, to let you know when we can meet up again. I have a lot of study I need to get done.” She smiled and wrapped her arms around him.

He breathed in deeply, her rose and lavender scent filling his body with warmth. As her grip loosened around him he knew he had to let her go too. With one last warm smile she turned and headed back to the castle. He watched her for a while before he started another walk around the lake.

What was he going to do when he would be forced to go home? He had a reason, but would anyone listen? Or care?

He knew that he would end up back there anyway. Maybe he could occupy his time trying to find a single book in their enormous library that he could give to Hermione. That would definitely take him a while.

Even just thinking about her when she wasn’t there made him ache, he missed her sweet touch. She was so perfect; something was bound to go wrong again. It always does, just when he thinks that he’ll be happy.

He won't let himself lose her again though, he could hardly stand it the first time. Now that he has felt her touch and experienced the pain of losing her, he will never do it again. No matter what it takes. He just hoped that he wouldn’t be too much of a coward if he ever does have to fight for her.

He sighed and continued walking around the lake.

Hermione rushed back to the common room and stood in front of the fire, warming her numbing fingers.

“Where have you been all day?” She turned around to see Ginny looking over at her with folded arms.

“Actually, I’ve been practicing my charms down by the lake.” It was the truth, granted slightly warped.

She returned to warming her hands by the fire.

“Don’t lie, why won't you just tell me who he is?”

“I’m not lying and why can't you respect my privacy?” Hermione turned around to warm her back and face Ginny.

“We’re friends Hermione, don’t you trust me?”

“Why are you pressuring me?”

“Secrets don’t do any good Hermione! They just make people drift apart, and we don’t need any reasons to drift apart. We can't hide things from one another, that’s the last thing we need.” Hermione could see that she was worried, she knew that we were leaving Hogwarts this year and that she would be one of the only ones in our little group that would still be here, Luna being one of the only exceptions, and she was in another house.