Preparing Ahead

Things seemed to go back to normal over the next few weeks. They kept their eyes on the prophet for anything suspect but it was just your average news. Draco had noticed that Pansy was sending more letters than usual; she seemed so desperate to please the others. He wasn’t sure why.

He personally wished that they would just leave him out of it but he knew that it would never happen. They were waiting for him to redeem his family for betraying them at the end of the war. Some of them thought that his father has now betrayed them twice, once after the first war and then again by deserting the cause.

Needless to say that this was to be strike three if things didn’t go to plan. Draco had no idea what they were capable of or who they’d come after if their plans failed.

He lay back in bed early one morning thinking about it. His mother back home would have no idea what was going on. It seemed that they had been cut off from both sides and left to see if they could survive. Money wasn’t the problem, that would still be coming in by buckets, it was the fear.

The fear that was slowly building around the house like a thick murky fog, trapping them inside and preventing them from finding a new life, or forgetting about the old one.

He wondered how they were handling it, cooped up in that house with no one. He knew how hard it was for him to be alone; surely he wasn’t the only one to feel pain from it?

Would his parents encourage him to do this or would they condemn it? They did walk away from it after all. He had no idea but there was no way that he was going to ask. It was too late for that now. It’s not like they had changed so much that they would accept him dating a muggle-born. Especially Hermione Granger, who had always bested him in his classes and infuriated his father, then again, his father always blamed Draco for that. He refused to believe that a muggle-born witch could achieve better than a pure-blood. Draco had always hated the fact that he wasn’t the top of his classes, which he was in many cases. Of course, this was only when she hadn’t been in the class with him.

No, they would never accept their relationship. There weren’t many pure-blood families left and Draco knew that they couldn’t survive forever, at some point there would have to be some impure blood entering the bloodline.

His head spun thinking about it. Everything was so complicated when you had to keep the bloodlines clean. Sometimes he wondered if any of his ancestors were told who they should marry, just to keep the lines pure. It seemed so trivial to him now.

Right now his only worry was when the death eaters would strike next, or whether they had, but this time they’d done a better job of covering it up. Either way, he could feel that something big wouldn’t be too far away.

It wouldn’t be long until he had to seriously start studying for his NEWTS. Hermione had been preparing since before they started school, of course, and he knew he had the potential to come in second. He might have been able to scrape past her in potions, if it weren’t for Slughorn. He loved Hermione, and Potter, they were all a part of his little ‘Slug Club’.

He scoffed at the thought of it. At least NEWTS were assessed by outside parties; he might be able to beat her, for once.

He glanced over at his alarm clock to check the time, he was definitely going to have to get up soon or he would miss breakfast. He never really seemed to be hungry anymore but he knew that if he ate nothing it would come back to haunt him.

He climbed out of bed, pulling his black school pants over his boxers and running his hands through his hair. He needed a shower, but he really didn’t have time. As he dressed for classes his mind wandered back to the prefect’s bathroom and a smile found its way onto his lips.