Plans

Draco stormed out of the hall, humiliated and enraged. He hated Pansy. He didn’t want Hermione to think about that howler. He balled up his fist and ground his teeth together so hard that it hurt. He was seething, absolutely furious.

Why did he think that this was beyond even Pansy? He would never do something like that to anyone. Ever. Not even her.

Curse her, maybe. But he would never humiliate her like that if she hurt the way he did. Not that she knows how he is feeling of course, no one does. Hermione is the only one who has even tried to scratch the surface.

He pounded his fist against the wall and used it to steady himself as so many things ran through his mind. He felt dizzy, sick. Why should this abuse be any different than that which he had received for the rest of his life?

Maybe he had reached his threshold, maybe it was just the contrast between his elation from the night before.

He yelled out and began throwing his fists painfully at the wall.

“Draco stop!” Hermione pleaded with him.

He turned to see her standing behind him with a desperate look on her face.

“Why?!” he screamed at her, his pale face contorted with pain.

She flinched at his anger and it just made him feel worse, but this was something he had lost control of.

“How will it help?”

“It helps me just fine! Don’t tell me what I can and can't do!” The vein in his forehead was pulsing furiously.

“I’m not trying to tell you what to do Draco! I just don’t want you hurting yourself because of her!”

He pulled out his wand and pointed it at her. She looked up at him, fear glistening in her glassy eyes, but she didn’t move.

“Go on! Get out of here! You’re afraid of me, I can see it!” He choked out the words as he let his agony overwhelm him.

“I’m not afraid of you, I’m afraid for you.”

“What does that even mean? You’re afraid for me? You’re lying! I scare you!” His wand wavered as his whole body quivered.

“I know that if you hurt me you’re going to do a lot more damage to yourself.” She looked up with kind eyes and he longed to just melt into them and have her keep him safe.

“It’ll hurt you more if you’re dead!” he yelled.

It was almost one swift movement; she pulled her wand out of her pocket and gave a silent flick, disarming him. One more flick and he found himself unable to say a word.

He tried to yell out but it was no use, he had no voice.

“It’s for your own good, when you yell you just make it worse for yourself and it gives you a reason to feel bad later. You just end up regretting it, so keep your mouth shut.” She said sternly and he did as she said.

She reached out for his hand but he pulled away violently, his eyes narrow and his nostrils flaring. “Fine, I don’t have to touch you, but you don’t have to let her get to you. She’s hardly worth anything. I don’t know why you bothered with her in the first place.”

He tried to speak but again nothing came out. She was right though, the less he was able to say the more he calmed down.

“There weren’t many people in there, and most of them know how much of a snake Pansy is. Nothing that she said in that howler was right; she just made herself look ridiculous. Come with me.” She held out her hand again and Draco sighed.

He threw his hand into hers roughly and she pulled him along.

What was she still doing here? She had to be crazy to stick around or maybe… what if he really did mean something to her?

She led him to the library where they took a seat in the back corner on an old couch. She made him scoot over next to her. She looked into his eyes and reached up to stroke his hair. He flinched away but she just tried again, so he let her.

Her fingers ran through his blonde hair and he closed his eyes. They were so gentle; it made him feel like that letter was just a distant memory. He opened his mouth to speak but he was still bound to silence.

She took out her wand and gave it a swish. He felt a release as his voice found him again. “Why are you so nice to me?” he whispered.

Her hands were now on either side of his head, her fingers lovingly caressing his hair. It was soothing, and her eyes were searching his with such a deep fascination; he had never felt cherished like this before. She dipped her head and gave him a soft peck on the lips before resting her cheek against his.

“Is it really that hard for you to figure out?” she murmured in his ear, sending a shiver through his body.

“Why me?” he couldn’t understand it, no one had shown anything like this to him before.

“I don’t believe everything you do is because you really mean it, there’s more to you. When I first saw you I knew it, but it wasn’t until I got older that I really wanted to get to know you. And now, I don’t want to turn away.”

“I don’t want you to.”

“So don’t push me away, come here.” She motioned for him to rest his head on her lap as she sat back.

He stretched out on the couch with his head resting on her legs as she ran her fingers through his hair and stroked his arms.

“What are we supposed to do when school starts up again? What would Potter say?”

“They don’t have to know if that helps, I know Pansy would probably try to hex me out of this world.” He sat up and looked at her face, filled with worry lines.

“She won’t touch you, I won’t let her.” She looked over at him sweetly and leaned in for another kiss.

This one was longer and more purposeful. It felt like a binding kiss, it told him that she meant what she was saying and that she really didn’t want to lose him.

“So we need to be more discreet, but where are we going to be able to see each other? It’s not like people don’t know who we are.” She asked.

“When the holidays are over we’ll need somewhere for just us. I know just the place.” Draco almost managed a smile.