Try, Try Again

They were just two little words. Not Hermione or even Luna knew just what it meant for Draco. He didn’t just mean sorry for hurting her, he was sorry for everything.

No one could ever understand just how much he meant those two little words, and he wasn’t sure who would even want to listen. Part of him felt like people would still be alive if he hadn’t done the things he had done, if he had of been less of a coward.

Just saying, or even writing those words, was one of the hardest things he has ever done. He was admitting to himself that he had done some real wrongs in that last few years.

Maybe it would have been hard for him to say it back before everything, but that was because he was arrogant and it would hurt his pride. Maybe it was still partly about that, but mostly it was not wanting to have to face his feelings.

He watched as the swan flew towards her. He watched her gently pick it up and open it slowly. He watched as she tried to hide her feelings and pretended that she wasn’t looking over at him. And then he watched her stand quickly and walk straight out of the library doors.

He really had hoped that she would talk to him again. At the least he thought she might look over.

As Hermione stormed away from her favourite place in the castle she bumped into Luna, literally.

“Oh! Sorry, I- I didn’t see you.” She tried to wipe her eyes subtly but it wasn’t working.

“That quite alright, is everything okay Hermione?”

“Yes, no, everything is fine. I have to go.” Hermione gave a small smile and walked straight past her.

He said sorry. Sure he said sorry about other things, but they were stupid things like snapping at her in the bathroom, or staring at her in the morning before she woke up.

No! She scolded herself. You need to stop remembering it all.

She headed back to the common room, and fast. She really hoped she could avoid Harry and Ginny, she really wasn’t in the mood.

She didn’t sleep well that night. She was up tossing and turning and she couldn’t turn off her mind. Usually her mind worked overtime, but it was just ridiculous that night. In her drowsy state she ran her hands over one side of her bed, the cold empty side.

She could still remember him lying there, his blue eyes looking up at her and the smile that so rarely flickered onto his lips.

When she opened her eyes there was nothing, not even a trace that he had been there with her.

She sighed and got herself up to face the day.

She stood in front of the large gilded mirror and looked at herself. Her wavy hair was wild and bushy and she had small circles under her eyes. As she dragged the brush through her knotted mane she started wishing that she had never felt an interest in him. She wished that she never walked around that corner to see him with Pansy and that he never came to confront her about it.