A New Chapter

Draco had no idea how McGonagall knew about him and Hermione. If this had been a few weeks ago he probably would have flipped out and overreacted but for some reason it didn’t seem like a threat. It was almost as though he knew that McGonagall would keep it to herself. He never thought that he might one day trust the old windbag. He was actually starting to like her.

A little, maybe.

The week-long break was only a week away and the more Draco thought about it the happier he became. He hadn’t told Hermione that McGonagall knew about them and he probably wouldn’t. She hadn’t told Hermione, she had told him. That had to mean something didn’t it?

She gave him side glances from across the hall every day. She had such a beautiful half smile. She looked over from under her eyelashes and smiled as if she had something funny on her mind, but she wasn’t going to tell you. She was stunning.

They saw each other only twice more before the train arrived at the station, waiting to take them home. Hermione couldn’t wait to see her parents, she was even more excited about introducing them to Draco. She had never done that kind of thing before but her parents loved her and she knew they would support her no matter what.

A few days before they left she brushed past him in the hallway and slipped a note into his pocket. She could have just sent it to him but she used it as an excuse to be near him. She placed her hand on his chest and tucked the paper into his robes with a lingering touch. All too soon she had to move past him without looking back.

He waited until he was in class before he took it out to read it.

When we get to Kings Cross catch the train to Nottingham. We’ll get picked up from there.

He felt his stomach twist a little, he was nervous. He was only spending a few days there but still. He didn’t really want to go home but he supposed that he ought to. He had a sneaking suspicion early in the week that Pansy would try to invite him to her house.

He wasn’t wrong.

“Are you going home?” She plopped down beside him at dinner a few nights prior to their departure.

“We have to. That was a stupid question.” He said without looking up.

She glared at him and pulled a sarcastic smile across her face. “What I meant was do you really want to stay at your house with your parents for a whole week when I have somewhere far more interesting for you to be?”

“And where is that exactly because spending a week alone at my place sounds pretty good if you ask me.” He said coldly.

“Mulciber is holding a meeting. Not too far from your house.” Draco looked up at her.

“Mulciber?”

“Keep your voice down. He’s staying in this run down old place, the concealment charms are more elaborate than I’ve ever seen. Meeting is on Thursday. I’ll come and get you.” She looked excited and it made Draco’s stomach churn.