Trying

“She’ll never talk to me; I ignored her all this time.” Draco sat on an old log in the forest with his head in his hands. “What have I done?”

“Stop worrying about what you’ve done and start thinking about what you’re going to do.” Luna sat by his side and looked over at him.

“She doesn’t even look at me anymore.” He felt his anger rising inside him.

He hated himself for the things that he has done.

“You’re so self-destructive Draco.” She said softly. “You need to have more faith in yourself.”

“How can I? I’m nothing.” He gritted his teeth.

“Hermione doesn’t think so. She tried so hard to get you back because you were something to her. I don’t think you’re nothing either. You’re just guilty.”

“Of course I am!” He hissed. “You’ve seen it, there is no way to get rid of it, you all made sure of that… You all say you want to move on but you make sure that you know who you can't trust.” He felt so angry.

His Dark Mark was still burned into his arm from when his father gave it to him all those years ago. They had a process to remove it but no one ever really got rid of the mark. Draco knew why. It was so they could always remember who was on the wrong side, they always had someone to blame. He never even wanted it.

He never wanted his job or the mark, but who was to know that? Who would even ask?

“I know you never wanted any of this, Hermione knows too.”

“What am I going to do?”

“I don’t know.” She shrugged.

He looked over at her and raised his eyebrows. “I thought you were going to help.”

“I think you’ve had enough of people telling you what to.” They looked at each other for a moment before he turned away. “Just tell me what you need me to do.”

“What?”

“I’ll help you Draco. Let me know if you need something, but right now I have to go and meet Neville.” She heard him scoff and mumble something like ‘Longbottom’ under his breath. “Don’t be an arse Draco; you’re more like him than you know.” She left him with a smile and skipped away.

She bewildered him sometimes, the way she could just make the best of every situation. Draco always seemed to make the worst of them. He must have been sitting there for hours before he thought of something he could possibly do to win her back.

Hermione had thrust herself right back into her studies since she decided to move on. She was heading to the library after her classes to catch up on some study for her ancient runes class; she really had let herself slip.