The moment after

“Hermione!” Harry called out to her when he saw her standing on the platform.

“Harry!” She ran over to him and gave wrapped her arms around him.

It almost made her want to cry, but she told herself that she wouldn’t cry over Draco today. He made himself very clear. They were nothing. They were nothing.

She had been repeating that to herself over and over in her head trying to make herself realise that what she thought was something so special was really just her imagination running wild. Maybe it was more than that, but she couldn’t fight him anymore.

She couldn’t keep letting him hurt her the way he did. He needed someone to get him through everything, but for now it couldn’t be her.

She let him go and grinned, a tear rolling from her eye.

“Are you alright Hermione?” He brushed away the tear with his glove and cocked his head questioningly.

“Sorry! I’ve just been on my own for so long, I missed you.”

“We missed you to Hermione.”

She gave him another hug and he rested his head on hers.

“You better not get too close to him, George was testing out some new candies on him back at the burrow.” Ginny walked around to give Hermione a quick hug before linking arms with Harry.

“He’s working on new things?”

“Oh yes, the last was a tribute to Fred, Fred’s Firework Farts. It made for an interesting Christmas Eve.” She smiled lightly.

At least George was finally moving on and doing what Fred would have wanted; making some kind of horrid candy to cause a riot.

“He definitely needs to work on those some more.” Ron startled Hermione as he walked up beside her.

“Hi Ronald.” She said, it was still slightly awkward.

Even more so if he’d known about Draco.

Draco.

He gave her a small smile.

“Oh for goodness sake, are the two of you going to do this forever?” Said Ginny.

Hermione laughed and shook her head, trying to avoid the subject. Her smile faded fast though and Ginny raised an eyebrow suspiciously.

They headed back to the common room and Hermione stole a glance towards the staircase that lead down to the dungeons.

“…So that’s how we ended up smashing every single dish in the kitchen.” Harry finished his story as they walked through the Fat-Lady’s portrait into the common room.