Chapter Twenty

The knock on the door was so gentle that at first Henry  thought he had imagined it. He was lying on his bed staring at the ceiling drifting with his own child hood memory. Memories that floated by like an old silent movie, silent laughter, silent tears, Charlotte and him being playful, laughing and having each other's back. Charlotte giving him a hug and making him feel better whenever he was having a hard time. Both of them walking home from work every night laughing and flirting. Growing and choosing different path in life. Growing apart.  The memories become more liquid, rushed by faster, scenes merged, faces were swept away. Then it moved to earlier today at Charlotte's place. He had forgotten he was just pretending to make his daughter happy, he himself was happy. Content. It had just been a day of pretending and his feelings are already jumbled up. Jasper was right,  this wasn't a good idea.  The knocking grew louder.
"Come in"Henry said.
Jasper came in.
"Hey"Henry said.
"Where is kath? I didn't see her around. "Jasper said.
"She is with Charlotte. She fell asleep there so I  left her there,  will get her tomorrow"He answered.
"Okay, I  will go set up dinner" He said and turned to leave.
"You are right Jasper"Henry said. Jasper stopped and turned.
"About what?"He asked.
"Everything. You know earlier when i was with Charlotte I forgot i was angry at her. We had a great time together at her place today. I even imagined myself almost making love to her there in her very own kitchen"He said running a hand through his hair.
"How can I love someone so much and hate her as much at the same time? You want to be with her so badly but at the same want her far away. What do I do Jasper? "He added.
"I don't know what to tell you man. I know you need answers, some peace. I know you want to rid yourself of some burden. Of anger.  but i can't help with that man"Jasper said.
Henry looked at him disappointedly.
He really needed answers.
"All the answers to your questions are in there"Jasper said pointing to Henry's heart"but you have to find the way to reach them, unlock the door. To do that you have to strip away anger. Get rid of the ego. The tensions and the turmoil. Free your inner self and you will find the answers you seek".
He stared at Jasper probably taking in all he just said. He felt a little bit relieved. He smiled softly at him.
"Thanks buddy"Henry said hugging Jasper. He smiled and hugged him back.
"But seriously man, When did you become this smart? "Henry said when the hug was over.
"Try living with a heartbroken man then you will have level up your game"Jasper said jokingly. They both laughed.
"Am sorry about the other day"Henry apologised. "I shouldn't have said what i said.
"It is forgotten"He said hitting him on his shoulder.
"Thanks bro for always having my back"Henry said. Jasper hugged him again.
"I should go fix us dinner"Henry said getting up from the bed.
They left for the kitchen together. Henry made dinner and they ate together. They stayed up late together talking about things, it wasn't until midnight that they went to bed.
"Good morning mummy" Kath said descending from the stairs"where is daddy?".
"Morning my love"Charlotte replied kissing her fore head"and daddy went home last night".
"I just thought we would have breakfast like a family together"Kath said a bit disappointed.
"Am sorry Kath but daddy really had to go"Charlotte said feeling really sorry for her.
They heard the doorbell ring.
"I will go get it"Charlotte said to Kath who was still feeling disappointed.
"Good morning princess"Kath heard someone say. She turned immediately.
"Daddy"She said running to him"it really is you daddy. I missed you so much".
"I missed you too princess, so much"Henry said kissing her fore head. Charlotte watched them with a big smile on her face. She could see how much they loved each other and it made her guilty that she kept them apart all this while.
"Now we can have breakfast together. All of us, like one big happy family"She practically screamed throwing her hands in the air.
"She is so happy"Henry whispered to Charlotte. His breath against her neck made her shiver.
"I know right"She said catching her breath.
"I like seeing her like that"He said with a smile. She smiled back, gazing directly at him. She doesn't know what it is but she can feel there is something different about Henry this morning.
"Come on mummy, daddy lets eat breakfast"Kath said from the dining.
Henry and Charlotte joined her for breakfast.
"I can't believe mummy did that"Kath said leading her daddy to the couch when breakfast was over.
"Believe me she did. She tackled a full grown man and got my mum's purse back"Henry said.
"And I didn't get a single thank you"Charlotte said accusingly at Henry.
"It wasn't my purse"Henry defended.
"Still it was your mum's"She said rolling her eyes.
"Thank you mummy for getting back grand ma's purse"Kath said happily.
Both Henry and Charlotte laughed.
"Since it's weekend can we go to the beach? We will have a lot of fun."She suggested excitedly.
"We can have a little picnic"Henry chipped in immediately.
"So mummy, are you in?"Kath asked.
She nodded almost immediately, she wouldn't pass out an opportunity to spend with her two favourite people in the whole world.
"Yay!! Mummy we should go back our bags"She said pulling her mother along"will be right back daddy".
"We have got our picnic almost packed"Kath said few minutes later.
"We just have to throw a few last minute things"Charlotte said descending from the stairs. She was decently dressed for the beach.
"I guess we will have to make a quick stop at my place so I  can get some things"Henry said looking at Charlotte.
"Alright then we should get going"Charlotte said.
"I love picnics"Kath said heading for the door.
"Thank you"Charlotte said to Henry who had just held the door for her to get inside the car.
Kath beamed.
"My daddy is a real gentle man"Kath said from the rear. Henry winked at her and Charlotte out the window shyly.
Henry drove them to his house where he got his bag and then they drove to the beach. The ride to the beach was fun and relaxing. They had to listen to Kath  sing and believe me she isn't actually that great.
"I have a favourite spot"Kath said jumping out of the car.
"Easy there girl, you have never been here"Charlotte stated.
"That is my favourite spot"Kath said pointing to the same spot Henry and Charlotte would always stay whenever they visit the beach.
The both glance sharply at each other.
"How did you"They asked in unison.
"What"She said confused. "We should set up already"
They got things ready for there picnic.  After spending some times telling Kath about there childhood and some of there adventures in swell ville. Charlotte decided it was time to get to the ocean. She took off her dress revealing a red bikini. Henry's eyes almost popped out. He had seen her wear bikinis before and she always looked great in them but now he just doesn't know which word to use. He was aware he was staring but it didn't bother him, no man will stand in front of a goddess like Charlotte and wouldn't stare.
"We should hit the ocean"Charlotte said amused. She was satisfied with herself after noticing Henry could not keep his eyes of her. She had intentionally chosen that bikini, she knew how hot she looked in it and wanted to see Henry's reaction. She smiled inwardly to herself.
"We should go"Henry said taking off his shirt. Charlotte's breath seized. How on earth can one man be allowed to look that good.
"Why is this taking so long"Kath said to her parents who were staring at each other. They both looked away awkwardly.
The three of them left for the ocean.
"I had a lot of fun today"Kath commented later when they were all lying on there mat exhausted from all the running earlier.
"Thanks mummy and daddy. I love you both"She said.
"Mummy and daddy love you too"Henry said looking over at Charlotte who shot him a dazzling smile. A smile that assured him that everything will be okay. A smile that he would do anything for. He was really proud and happy that he was the reason for that smile. Jasper was right he just had to free his mind, let go of things and he will find answers. All the answers he needed is right in front of him. Now he was sure of how to handle this situation. He was sure of what his next step will be. He heart feels nothing but happiness and relieved. Now he had to turn this stupid pretend to reality. He had to get back the woman he loves. To give Kath a happy family and probably a brother or sister. He chuckled at the thought and both Charlotte and Kath looked suspiciously at him. He moved closer and simply engulfed them in a big hug. How much he love this girls.
########
Another update guys. Am on fire🔥🔥
Don't forget to vote guys.
Forgive me for any grammatical error, it hasn't been easy writing with my cell phone.