Chapter Five

Henry had received a phone call and left smiling, this had left the gang wondering who it could be. Ray and Schwoz said that maybe he found a new girlfriend but Jasper didn't agree with them because he didn't mention any thing to him. They decides not to think about it so much and focus on testing out the new gadget Schwoz created. They would ask him about it when he gets back. Few minutes he left, the elevator opened.
Jasper turned thinking it was Henry. He froze and dropped the plate of tacos he was eating startling both Ray and Schwoz who were backing the elevator.
"What is wrong with... "Ray said and paused immediately sighting the person coming out from the elevator.
"Charlotte!!"Schwoz shouted.
She smiled and spread her arms.
"The one and only"She said scanning the area.
"Char is that really you"Jasper said.
"It's me"She replied.
"Tell me this ain't a dream"Ray said still shocked.
"I don't think I ever want to be in your dreams, Ray. "She said with all her sass.
"That is really our Charlotte"Schwoz said and rushed and hugged her tightly, Ray and Jasper joined immediately. They held her so tight that she had to gasp for air.
"Am choking here guys"She said.
And they released her and apologized to her.
"Where have you been Char, you don't know how much we missed you"Schwoz said.
"We searched everywhere for you"Ray said.
"You mean Henry and I did the searching"Jasper said.
"Same thing"Ray said eyeing Jasper.
She watched them and smiled, nothing has changed except they all grew older.
"You said you would come back after a year, what happened"Ray asked
"Henry hasn't been the same since you left"Jasper said.
"Speaking of Henry, where is he"She asked a little tense.
"He left few minutes before you came"Jasper answered. She was relieved.
"Probably to meet his new girlfriend"Schwoz said.
"Schwoz!!"Jasper yelled.
"What? I heard him call her baby"He said innocently.
Charlotte felt her heartbreak. What was she thinking, that he might be waiting for her. They didn't even date. He never said he liked her, it was just a moment of weakness and that was it. She was stupid enough to think that maybe, just maybe he might be waiting for her. It a relief he is not here at the moment. Because she wouldn't know what word to say to him. she sighed and noticed Jasper giving her a strange look. She smiled.
"Henry doesn't have a girlfriend"Jasper said.
She just smiled briefly at him.
"We should probably call him"Ray said.
She wanted to stop him but he already dialed his number and it would seem suspicious. So she kept quiet. Luckily for her Henry's wasn't picking his call.
"He is not answering"Ray said.
"He is probably having too much of a great time with his girlfriend to notice his phone ring"Schwoz said.
Jasper shot him a glare and he scurried to the back.
"I will meet Henry later. Why don't we try and catch up. Am sure you guys have truck load of questions for me"Charlotte said.
"We sure do"Ray said.
"Why didn't you come back after a year?"He asked.
"I got a good offer there, so I decided to stay there"She lied hoping they would buy it.
"And you didn't think it was necessary to contact us"Jasper said sternly.
"I was robbed immediately I got to the city, so I lost everybody's contact"She lied again.
They seemed to have bought her story. She felt relieved until Jasper opened his mouth.
"You could have gotten it from your parents or you go to social media. Don't tell me you lost that too"He said harsher than he intended.
This time Charlotte didn't know what to do, she was speechless.
"What really happened Char?"Jasper asked calmly.
"What are you not telling us?"He said.
Jasper had really change, before it would be easy to fool him but now he seems to have outgrown his naivety.
"Look guys, so many things happened. Whatever I did, i did thinking of you Am sorry I didn't keep in contact but I did what had to be done"She said.
"What do you mean by that?"Jasper said.
"You are just confusing us"He added.
But Charlotte was silent.
"Just let it go for now Jasper. Am sure she will talk better with Henry around"Ray said sensing she ain't ready to talk yet.
Jasper noticed that Something is different about Charlotte, He couldn't figure what it is but he is certainly sure that she is hiding something. Maybe when Henry comes he will be able to get her to talk to them, so he reluctantly let it go.
Jasper took her around the Man cave and showed her the new stuff they were able to produce through the years. They told her about how it had been for them fighting crime without her around, How easily they drift off point without no one to bring them back to the real point. Ray and Schwoz fought over who Charlotte missed more. Charlotte watched them with mixed feelings. She was happy to be back with them and at the same time sad that she had to lie to them. She wondered what there reaction would be if they found out the truth. Schwoz brought out his automatic music player and they all danced. She lost track of time partying with them. They even sang a few songs. Ray said its a semi welcome party for her. He told her that the real one would hold when Henry is around. Charlotte wondered if Henry would be happy to see her. They didn't actually part on good terms. Would he be still mad at her or will he be happy to see her. Jasper did say he looked for her. Maybe he forgave her already, maybe he misses her as much as she does. She was drawn out of her thought when her phone rang.
"Hello honey, am sorry I lost track of time. I will be home in a jiffy"She said and hung up the phone. Her eyes met that of Jasper who was looking at her suspiciously.
"What?"She said.
"Nothing. Are you leaving already"He asked.
"Yes"She said getting her bag and hurrying to the tubes.
"But Henry is not here yet"Jasper said.
"I will see him some other time. Good night guys"she said. "Up the tube".
The tube sucked her up.
"At least give us your number"Jasper shouted but she already left.
"And she is gone. How could we forget to get her number or her home address"Jasper said.
Both Ray and Schwoz shrugged lazily. They were exhausted from all the singing and dancing and probably eating too much food.
If he wasn't sure about his suspicion about Charlotte earlier now he is. She is so different from the Charlotte he used to know. Charlotte wouldn't have left without meeting Henry. It was almost like she didn't wanna meet Henry.
"Where the heck is Henry?"Jasper said frustrated.
Just then the elevator opened revealing a smiling Henry.
"There he is"Ray said yawning.
"What on earth happened here"He asked noticing the littered environment.
"Where the heck have you been? We have been trying to call you"Jasper said a bit angry.
"Jeez! Chill man. Was there an emergency? My watch didn't beep"He said.
"Right we should have beeped him"Jasper said slapping his head.
"So what was this emergency? What happened here?"Henry asked.
"Charlotte came"Schwoz said nonchalantly and Ray nodded lazily.
Henry froze.
"Don't joke with things like that"Henry said.
"Here"Jasper said showing him a picture they took.
"Tell me am not dreaming. How come nobody told me"He yelled.
"Char was here and no one bothered to call me"He screamed.
"We did call you"Ray said lazily"several times"
Henry checked his phone and it was on silent. The universe really likes to taunt him. He spent the entire years searching for her. And when she comes to him, he isn't even there to welcome her. He ran his hand through his hair.
"Where were you"Jasper asked.
"Where is she now?"He said ignoring his question.
"She went home already, her husband probably called her"Schwoz said.
Henry's heart broke.
"Husband?"He whispered.
"Don't mind Schwoz he doesn't know what he is saying"Jasper said not sure himself.
"We clearly had her call him honey and she also said she is coming home already"Schwoz said rolling his eye.
Henry was speechless.
"That Is actually true"Ray agreed.
"Don't mind them Hen, Char wasn't wearing a wedding ring. Am sure she isn't married. She didn't mention it"Jasper said trying to convince both Henry and Himself.
"Can I have her number or home address"Henry said .
"We forgot to get it"Jasper said looking down.
"How could you man. How am I supposed to meet her now"Henry said.
"She did say she will come back"Ray said.
"Am sure she will come back, she was eager to meet you"Jasper said.
"She didn't look eager to me"Schwoz muttered and Jasper shot him with the laser gun and he winced.
"She is gonna come back. You have waited all this years, sure you can wait a few days"Jasper said.
Henry nodded.
"Am sorry I yelled earlier"Henry said.
"It's forgotten"Jasper said and patted his back.
He felt sorry for his friend, His one sided love for Charlotte has lingered too long. He is not even sure if the object of affection feels the same way. What if what Schwoz said was the truth? What if Charlotte is already married?
It would be the death of This friend, if it turns out to be true. He looked over at Henry and could clearly see the image of a broken man. He hoped fervently that he finds his love very soon.
"Where were you"Jasper asked Henry.
"I was with Kath"He said and smiled.
Jasper and Ray exchanged looks.
"Told you he has a new girlfriend"Schwoz said rubbing the spot Jasper shot him at.
____________________
Hello lovely😘 people.
So am thinking of updating this story every sunday.
Just stay tuned and enjoy.
More twists to come.
😍😍😍😍