Chapter Eight

Henry took Kath straight to his shared apartment with Jasper. They didn't talk the whole way. It had been easier conversing with her when he didn't know her real identity but now he knows she is his daughter he is finding it hard to start a conversation. And he blamed Charlotte for that, if only she gave him a chance to be Kath's father then he won't be in this situation. He hated her with all the cell in his body.
"Is this your house?"Kath asked stepping inside the apartment. She didn't know what to say to him. She hated the silence.
"Yes. I live with Jasper"He said avoiding her eyes.
"Can you tell me more about you and mum?"She said
Henry was silent.
"Please"She said touching his hand"I want to know everything".
He nodded.
He told her everything he thought she should know. About their friendship. Charlotte's departure. He left some parts he believed she shouldn't know yet.
"So you and mum, are best friends?"She asked.
"Yes we were"He answered.
"What about now. You don't like mum anymore?"She asked. He kept quiet, he doesn't want to hurt her feelings.
"Mum is not a bad person. She is very nice. I don't really understand what is going on but I know mum would never hurt anybody intentionally. She would never hurt her friends"She said.
"What would you like to eat?"He asked her instead.
She could sense he doesn't want to continue the conversation.
"Anything"She said quietly.
Henry looked at her, he might be mad at Charlotte but he shouldn't be making Kath pay the price. He felt really guilty for taking her away from her mum. He wanted Charlotte to suffer but Kath is suffering too. She obviously misses her mum. He should do what is right.
"Let's go back to your mum"He said.
She looked up sharply at him.
He nodded.
"I will take you back, I know you miss her"He said.
"I don't want to go back"She said surprising him.
She misses her mum but she wants to stay and get to know her dad too. She had to stay to make sure her dad can forgive her mum. She needs to make sure her dream of having a complete family comes true.
"I don't want to go back yet, I miss my mum but I want to stay with you. To stay with my daddy"She said staring at Henry.
Hearing her call him dad made everything more real to him. His heart was filled with joy. He crouched  and hugged her. She hugged him back.
"I love you Kath"He said.
"I love you too daddy"She replied.
They made lunch together and ate.
"That food is one of the best food I ever tasted"Kath said joining Henry in the couch.
"One of the best"He said pretending to be hurt.
"Sorry but my mum makes better food"She said gleefully.
"You hurt me"He said pouting making her to laugh hard.
"You are such a big baby"She said amidst laughter.
"Now we will know who the big baby is"He said tickling her hard. She laughed hard begging him to stop.
"So what is your favourite food"Henry said finally stopping.
"My favourite food spaghetti. I hate pickles, they are gross"She said with disgust and Henry chuckled and agreed with her.
They spent the entire afternoon talking and getting to know more about each other. Henry hadn't had this fun in many years. Kath fell asleep on his lap, he carried her to his room, tucked her in and watched her sleep peacefully. He heard the front door open and close. Jasper must be back, he thought. He went out to meet him.
"Man where have you been?"Henry said.
"I was at the man cave, I figured you needed sometime to cool off"He said taking off his jacket. Henry nodded.
"So where is Kath, did you take her back yet?"Jasper asked.
"No, she asleep in my room"He said.
Jasper just nodded. Henry could see Jasper didn't really want to talk to him.
"Am sorry Jasp"Henry said taking the seats opposite Jasper.
"I can't believe my best friends hid something like this from me. How long were you guys dating?"Jasper said.
"We weren't dating, never dated"Henry replied.
"There is a baby Hen, don't tell me they come from the baby store"He said rolling his eyes. Henry chortled.
"Charlotte and I had what was like a one night stand"Henry said.
"What?"He said.
"We agreed never to talk of it. Charlotte made me promise her that I won't ever tell a soul. It was a secret we were supposed to take to our grave but Kath happened"Henry said.
"Am really sorry I didn't tell you about  it"He added.
"It alright but no more secrets"Jasper said sternly and Henry punched him in the shoulder.
"Easy man, am soft there"He said and they laughed.
"So what are you gonna do about Kath?"Jasper said.
"All I know is that I want to be with her, get to know her better. I never want her out of my sight"Henry said.
Jasper nodded
"What about Charlotte?"He asked.
"I don't know man, am really mad at her for what she did and I don't think I can ever forgive her"Henry said
"I know what she did was wrong but Hen, Kath is the one that will be caught in the middle of all this. She won't be happy as long as you and her mum aren't friends"Jasper said.
"So am supposed to forgive Charlotte like that?"Henry said.
"That is not what am saying, You have every right to be angry. all am saying is that you shouldn't let your anger get the better of you. Before you do anything, think it through"Jasper said.
Henry nodded.
"I have to go check on Kath"Henry said ending the discussion .
"Okay, I need to rest too, it really has been a stressful day"Jasper said and entered his room.
Henry went to his room and found Kath still asleep. He climbed the bed and laid next to her. He understood what Jasper was trying to say, Kath doesn't deserve any of this. She doesn't deserve a broken family. But he is not ready to forgive Charlotte yet. He wanted her to feel a tiny bit of the pain she caused him. He knows Charlotte would definitely come for Kath and he is not ready to let her go yet. He doesn't want Kath to suffer but at the same time doesn't want her out of his sight. He doesn't know what he is supposed to do in this whole unfamiliar situation. Tomorrow he will probably find answers, he thought as his eye lid grew heavier and he drift off to sleep.
Henry woke up to an empty bed, the space Kath occupied was empty. He panicked immediately. Thinking Charlotte already took her. He rushed out of bed and ran to ask Jasper.
"Kath,  you are here"He said walking over to her and hugging her tightly. "I thought I lost you again".
"Am sorry I scared you. Just that Jasper and I decided to let you sleep since you look so tired and so cute sleeping"She said with a smile.
"You think I looked cute only in my sleep?"Henry asked jokingly.
"Nah, you are the cutest guy in the whole wide world"She practically screamed. He nodded in agreement and Jasper rolled his eyes.
"I see you are having break fast already"Henry said joining them.
"Yes, we wanted to wait for you but you were taking too long, so I decided to take just a bite"She said.
"I can see how much of a bite you took"He laughed.
"morning to yo too Henry"Jasper said sarcastically
"Good morning, I didn't see you there"He replied cheerfully.
"Of course since am the smallest person in the house"Jasper said.
Henry and Kath laughed.
Jasper felt very happy for Henry, he hasn't seen him this happy in a very long time. It was really a relief to find out that apart from Charlotte someone else can make him this happy. He watched them feed each other and imagined Charlotte with them. They would really make a beautiful family, he thought. Most of all everybody will be happier. His thought was interrupted by the door bell.
"I will get it"Jasper said and went for the doors.
"What are you doing here?"He said.
#######
Hi, sorry for the delay. I have been really busy lately with school, work and everything. I know this chapter ain't that good but I promise next one is gonna be better. It is gonna be up by tomorrow, expect a steamy flashback.
You know the rules; vote and comment😘😘.