Aslan's Door

CHAPTER 32

CHAPTER 32

Caspian and Elizabeth share a smile as they lead the way towards Caspian's home. Caspian had been crowned king by Aslan. The Telemarines cheer in Welcome for their new king and the Narnians. They celebrated into the night where there were fireworks.

The next morning Peter, Elizabeth, and Susan met with Aslan as they discussed the future. Caspian walks outside to inform them of the fact that everyone had gathered. Caspian stops as he sees the Pevensies with Aslan before his eyes land on Elizabeth as he takes in her beauty. Caspian decides not to disturb them and goes to leave.

"Your majesty?" Aslan asks as Elizabeth looks over at Caspian sadly. She hadn't realized how close she had gotten with the now king but it happened and it hurt her heart since she knew what was to come.

"We are ready. Everyone has assembled," Caspian informs him before walking away.

The Pevensies, Aslan, and Caspian meet in front of all of the people.

"Narnia belongs to Narnians, just as it does to man. Any Telemarines who want to stay and live in peace are welcome to. But for any of you who wish Aslan will return you to the home of our forefathers," Caspian explains to the people.

"It's been generations since we left Telmar," A Telemarine states.

"We're not referring to Telmar. Your ancestors were seafaring brigands. Pirates run aground on an island. There they found a cave, a rare chasm that brought them here from their world. The same world as our kings and queens. It is to that island I can return you. It is a good place for any who wish to make a new start," Aslan explains causing the Telemarines to look among themselves.

"I will go," The General volunteers. "I will accept the offer." Caspian bows his head to the general as he walks forward.

"So will we," Caspian's aunt says as she walks forward with her father and son.

"Because you have spoken first, your future in that world shall be good," Aslan says before blowing on them. The trees behind Aslan untwist, creating a doorway. The general, Caspian's aunt, and her father walk through the trees disappearing.

"Where did they go? How do we know he is not leading us to our death?" The people question.

"Sire. If my example can be of any service, I will take 11 mice through with no delay," Reepicheep offers. Peter, Elizabeth, and Susan share a knowing look as Aslan looks over at them.

"We'll go," Peter says as he steps forward.

"We will?" Edmund asks confused.

"Come on. Our time's up," Susan says as she stands beside Peter.

"After all... we're not really needed here anymore," Peter adds as he walks over to Caspian before handing him his sword.

"I will look after it until you return," Caspian tells him.

"I'm afraid that's just it," Elizabeth says sadly. "We're not coming back." Caspian looks at her sadly as he realizes how close he feels to her now, especially since she is leaving.

"We're not?" Lucy asks hurt.

"You two are," Susan answers her. "At least, I think he means you two."

"But why? Did they do something wrong?" Lucy questions Aslan.

"Quite the opposite, dear one," Aslan answers her. "But all things have their time. Your brother and sisters have learned what they can from this world. Now it's time for them to live in their own."

"It's all right, Lu," Peter tells her. "It's not how I thought it would be but it's all right. One day you'll see, too. Come on." The Pevensies walk over to Glenstorm, Trufflehunter, Reepicheep, Trumpkin, and the Professor. Peter locks arms with Glenstorm while Edmund bows to Reepicheep and Trufflehunter. Elizabeth and Lucy bow to Trumpkin before wrapping him in a hug. Elizabeth lets go leaving Lucy before shaking hands with the professor and then locking arms with Glenstorm. Susan takes Elizabeth's place before Elizabeth walks over to Caspian.

"I'm glad I came back," Elizabeth tells him.

"I wish we had more time together," Caspian says causing Elizabeth to look down as she holds back tears before taking a deep breath.

"It would never have worked, anyway," Elizabeth tells him with a smirk.

"Why not?" Caspian asks her.

"I am 1,300 years older than you," Elizabeth answers jokingly causing Caspian to smile. Elizabeth goes to walk but knew she would regret not doing the one thing she really wanted to do. She quickly turns back before pulling Caspian into a kiss. It was perfect. Elizabeth felt as if it was only them in that moment and it was amazing as it lasted. As they pull apart, Caspian pulls her into a hug.

"I'm sure when I'm older I'll understand," Lucy says to Peter as they watch their sibling.

"I'm older and don't think I want to understand," Edmund adds causing Peter and Susan to laugh. Elizabeth pulls apart from Caspian before walking over to her siblings. Peter and Elizabeth share a smile before Elizabeth squeezes Lucy's hand. They look out at everyone before making their way between the trees. Lucy looks back at Aslan as Elizabeth looks at Caspian one last time before they disappear between the trees.

The Pevensies are back at the train station as Elizabeth and Lucy both try to look back one last time but find Narnia gone. The train stops in front of them before people get off.

"Aren't you coming, Phyllis?" The boy, that was talking to Susan, asks. Elizabeth smiles at her sister before they quickly grab their things and get on the train.

"What's that?" Lucy asks pointing at Elizabeth's neck. Elizabeth looks to find a necklace that had not been there before. The necklace has a bow and arrow charm causing Elizabeth to smile as she knows it is from Caspian.

"You don't think there's any way to get back?" Edmund asks as he goes through his bag, causing the others to look at him confused. "I've left my new torch in Narnia." They all laugh as the doors to the train close.