Ancient Powers

CHAPTER 26

CHAPTER 26

"Are you so glad of that magic whistle now, boy? Your kings and queens have failed us. Your army's half dead. And those that aren't will be soon enough," Nikabrik says to Caspian, who is looking at the engraving of the kings and queens.

"What do you want? Congratulations?" Caspian asks him.

"You want your uncle's blood. So do we. You want his throne? We can get it for you," Nikabrik answers before walking into the room with the stone table causing Caspian to follow him. "You tried one ancient power. It failed. But there is a power greater still. One that kept even Aslan at bay for near a hundred years." Caspian hears a growl in the shadows before he unsheathes his sword.

"Who's there?" Caspian asks.

"I am hunger. I am thirst. I can fast a hundred years and not die. I can lie a hundred nights on the ice and not freeze. I can drink a river of blood and not burst. Show me your enemies!" A werewolf says as it comes out of the shadows.

"What you hate, so will we. No one hates better than us," A hag says as it also comes out of the shadows.

"And you can guarantee Miraz's death?" Caspian asks.

"And more," The hag says as it bows. Caspian sheathes his sword. "Let the circle be drawn." The werewolf starts to draw the circle while the hag chants. The hag brings out what is left of the White Witch's wand before stabbing it into the ground causing a wall of ice to form.

"Wait," Caspian says as he sees the White Witch in the ice. "This isn't what I wanted." The werewolf grabs Caspian as he backs away.

"One drop of Adam's blood and you free me. Then I am yours, my king," The White Witch says. The hag then slits Caspian's hand open.

"No!" Caspian yells. The White Witch sticks her hand out of the ice before Caspian starts to go forward in a trance.

"Stop!" Elizabeth calls as she enters the room.

"Impossible," The White Witch says for she believed the girl to be dead. Edmund and Peter run into the room with Trumpkin behind them. Elizabeth starts running for Caspian as Peter fights the hag with Edmund fighting the werewolf while Trumpkin fights Nikabrik. Lucy then enters the room as Nikabrik disarms Trumpkin. Lucy disarms Nikabrik before holding her dagger to his neck. Nikabrik throws her off before grabbing another knife. As Nikabrik goes to stab Lucy, Trumpkin stabs him in the back killing him. Edmund kills the werewolf as Peter kills the hag.

"Come on! Come," The White Witch says to Caspian.

"Get away from him!" Elizabeth yells as she tackles Caspian out of the way.

"Peter, dear. I've missed you. Come. Just one drop. You know you can't do this alone," The White Witch says as Peter steps into the circle. Susan runs into the room looking around shocked. Elizabeth stands before helping Caspian stand. Peter lowers his sword as he gives into temptation. Elizabeth quickly grabs one of her daggers, throwing it causing it to embed in the White Witch's head as a sword comes out of her stomach. Trumpkin holds Lucy back as Caspian covers Elizabeth while Peter drops to his knee as the ice shatters revealing Edmund on the other side with his sword raised. Peter stands up as Edmund lowers his sword. Elizabeth moves to stand by Susan and Lucy.

"I know. You had it sorted," Edmund states before walking away. Caspian and Peter stare at the engraving of Aslan before looking at each other. Susan and Lucy leave the room as Elizabeth looks at Peter and Caspian, disappointed. Elizabeth shakes her head before leaving the room. Leaving Caspian never wanting to see that look on her face again, especially towards him.

Caspian has grabbed Elizabeth's dagger before leaving Peter in the room. Caspian is now sat on a ledge, twirling the dagger in his hand as his professor joins him.

"Why did you never tell me about my father?" Caspian asks.

"My mother was a Black Dwarf from the Northern Mountains. I risked my life all these years so that one day you might be a better king than those before you," The Professor answers.

"Then I have failed you," Caspian states.

"Everything I told you, everything I didn't, it was only because I believe in you. You have a chance to become the noblest contradiction in history. The Telmarine who saved Narnia," The professor explains before following Caspian's gaze, which is on Elizabeth, who is helping train the troops in archery. "And it doesn't hurt to have a Queen by your side." Caspian looks down with a small smile before going inside to grab a crossbow.

"Nope, not a scratch," Trufflehunter says after the troops had fired their arrows.

"It's alright," Susan tells the troops.

"Yeah, Rome wasn't built in a day," Elizabeth jokes with her sister, causing Susan to roll her eyes.

"How long did it take?" A Minotaur asks.

"What is Rome?" A fawn asks.

"It's just an expression," Susan answers them, while sending a slight glare at Elizabeth, who is holding back a giggle. An arrow is shot between the two girls, hitting the target.

"Hey!" Trufflehunter calls out.

"Nice shot! Which one of you was that?" Elizabeth asks excitedly.

"Good afternoon, your majesties," Caspian says as he walks forward. "I thought you could use some help."

"Things are well in hand, thank you," Susan tells Caspian causing Elizabeth to send her sister a slight glare.

"I did not mean to suggest otherwise, your majesty," Caspian informs her.

"I suppose you could do better?" Elizabeth asks him with a smirk.

"Pick a target," Caspian says with a returning smirk. Elizabeth shares a look with Susan, causing Susan to slightly nod.

"Do you see that pine cone?" Susan asks him.

"No problem," Caspian answers as he takes aim, causing Susan and Elizabeth to share a smirk.

"That one," Elizabeth says as she stands beside Caspian, moving his bow to where it is aiming at a pine cone higher up in the tree.

"Are you sure that's not an acorn?" Caspian asks, nervously, as he lowers his bow and looks at Elizabeth.

"Too far for you?" Elizabeth asks him with a slight smirk. Caspian takes aim again before firing, barely missing the pine cone.

"Not bad," Susan tells him as she hands Elizabeth her bow.

"I was trained by the finest in the Telemarine army," Caspian explains as he turns to look at Elizabeth.

"Well, If that's the best they got, we might stand a chance after all," Elizabeth teases with a smirk as she aims Susan's bow before firing. She hits the acorn causing her to smile. "I was trained by Susan, after all." They look to see where the arrow had landed before seeing a Telemarine soldier. Caspian and Elizabeth quickly fire two more arrows at the soldier, as he rides off. "I'll go tell Peter."

"You're lucky, you know," Peter states as Lucy sits beside him.

"What do you mean?" Lucy asks.

"To have seen him. I wish he'd just given me some sort of proof," Peter answers.

"Maybe we're the ones who need to prove ourselves to him," Lucy explains as Elizabeth walks in causing her to smile at her sister's faith.

"Peter. You'd better come quickly," Elizabeth says before heading to get the others.