The Island

Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Lucy Pevensie quickly starts running across the street before stopping as a car horn blares at her. With a quick apology she continues across the street. Elizabeth and Susan are looking at news magazines before a boy around Susan's age walks up causing Elizabeth to nudge her sister with a small smile on her face.

"You go to St. Fimbars?" The boy asks Susan.

"That's right," Susan answers him.

"I study in the Hendon House, across the street," The boy tells her. "I have seen you. Sitting by yourself." Elizabeth holds back a giggle at his attempt to flirt.

"Yes, well, I prefer to be left alone," Susan explains as she turns to face Elizabeth.

"Me too," The boy says as he doesn't take the hint. "What's your name?"

"Phillis," Susan answers with a smirk causing Elizabeth to giggle.

"Susan! Elizabeth!" Lucy calls as she runs over to them. "You better come quickly!" Elizabeth and Susan quickly put their magazines down before running across the street with their sister.

"Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight! Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight! Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight!" Kids cheer as they enter the train station before finding Peter losing a fight against three boys. A boy pins Peter against the wall as the other two begin to make their way over.

"Edmund! Elizabeth!" Lucy calls as they make their way through the crowd. Once through the crowd, Edmund jumps on one of the advancing boys taking him to the ground. Elizabeth quickly punches the other boy sending him to the ground. The crowd starts to go quiet and disappear as a whistle is heard before soldiers make their way over.

"Enough boys! Alright separate! Act your age!" A soldier yells as he shoves Peter and a boy apart.

"You're welcome," Edmund says as he sits between Elizabeth and Peter.

"I had it under control," Peter says as he stand up.

"And what was it this time?" Susan asks him annoyed. Out of all the siblings, Peter and Elizabeth had the hardest time transitioning back into their normal lives after being in Narnia for ten years.

"He bumped me," Peter answers her.

"And so you hit him?" Lucy asks confused.

"No. After he bumped me, they tried to make me apologize. That's when I hit him," Peter explains causing Elizabeth to shake her head with a small smile, knowing it was something she would have done, while Susan rolls her eyes.

"Is it that hard to just walk away?" Susan asks.

"I shouldn't have to. I mean don't you ever get tired of being treated like a kid?" Peter answers causing Elizabeth to nod in agreement.

"We are kids!" Edmund retorts.

"Well I was not always," Peter fires back.

"Peter's right. It's been a year. How long does he expect us to wait?" Elizabeth says as she speaks for the first time.

"I think it's time to accept that we live here. It's no use pretending any different," Susan explains causing Elizabeth to frown. Elizabeth then notices the boy from earlier walking their way causing Elizabeth to smirk at Susan, who looks back at the boy. "Pretend you're talking to me."

"We are talking to you," Edmund retorts.

"Ow!" Lucy exclaims as she jumps up.

"Be quiet, Lu," Susan tells her.

"Something pinched me," Lucy explains.

"Hey, stop pulling," Peter accuses as he looks at Edmund and stands up.

"I'm not touching you," Edmund replies as Elizabeth starts to realize what is happening.

"Just... what is that?" Susan asks as she stands as well.

"It feels like Magic," Elizabeth answers as she and Lucy share an excited look. "Quick, everyone hold hands."

"I'm not holding your hand," Edmund yells at Peter as the wind from the train starts to pick up. Peter grabs his hand as they watch the train station start to break apart around them. As Elizabeth looks through the windows of the train, she catches a glimpse of a beach. The train disappears into a bright light before they see a beach in front of them. They walk out of a cave as they look around in amazement. Lucy turns to Elizabeth excitedly before they let out a squeal and run towards the water. Susan, Peter, and Edmund quickly follow after them before they splash around in the water.

"Ed! Ed!" Elizabeth calls as she sees Edmund stop and stare up at the hills.

"What is it?" Peter asks as they turn to see what Edmund is looking at.

"Where do you suppose we are?" Edmund asks.

"Well, where do you think?" Elizabeth retorts.

"Well, I don't remember any ruins in Narnia," Edmund responds before they make the journey up to the destroyed castle. Elizabeth tosses Lucy an apple, before grabbing one for herself as they look around. Elizabeth walks over to what appears to be an balcony, which reminds her of the last time she saw Aslan.

"I wonder who lived here," Lucy states as she stands beside Elizabeth.

"I think we did," Elizabeth replies as Susan picks up a gold chess piece.

"Hey, that's mine. From my chess set," Edmund says as they all walk over to Susan.

"What chess set?" Peter asks.

"Well, I didn't exactly have a solid gold chess set in Finchley, did I?" Edmund retorts.

"It can't be," Lucy whispers before grabbing Elizabeth's hand and pulling her along with the others following. "Don't you see?"

"What?" Susan asks as Lucy positions Elizabeth and Peter beside each other.

"Imagine the walls," Lucy explains as she moves Susan beside Elizabeth. "And columns there." Edmund stands beside Peter and Lucy beside Susan. "And a glass roof."

"Cair Paravel," Elizabeth states in shock.