Chance Meetings

~Coming in unannounced, drag my nails on the tile

I just followed your scent, you can just follow my smile

All of your flaws are aligned with this mood of mine

Cutting me to the bone, nothing left to leave behind~

~Fall Out Boy~

It was a Monday in May, Bruce knew that much, the specific date eluded him. It was now summertime in Gotham. The weather was mild, and today the sun was actually out, warming the air. This was not a normal thing for the city.

He had spent the entire weekend in the cave. He continued tracking the crime in the city. Usually in the summer crime was at a high, which is why he was confused at first when Joker and his men had cut back on their illegal activities. The city seemed happy about it, but after some research, Bruce knew that usually meant Joker would be doing something big, soon.

He had needed a break from the dim lighting and the low hum of the large computer he'd been around all weekend. Bruce found himself pulling into his apartment building's garage. He needed to sleep a while in his blessedly quiet penthouse.

He pulled himself from his car and locked it behind him with a press of a button. He shuffled to the elevator doors and pressed the button to call it to the garage level. He rubbed his hands on his face trying to keep himself awake for a few more minutes, finally the soft ding alerted him to the arrival of his lift. The doors opened and Bruce moved to enter the elevator, nearly ran over a woman who was exiting.

"I'm sorry, miss." He reached to steady her.

"Hands off, I'm fine." She snapped at him.

Bruce looked at her, she seemed familiar. Finally it clicked.

"We have got to stop running into each other like this." He chuckled, the exhaustion clear in his voice.

The woman's eyes looked up at him. He was sure with his facial hair it would take a second, but he quickly saw the recognition that hit her.

"Mr. Wayne, what are you doing here?"

He watched her eyes, something seemed off. He was sure she looked almost panicked. He held the elevator door open as they talked.

"I live here, top floor."

Her eyes widened slightly, then narrowed. "Of course you do. It was nice to see you Mr. Wayne but I have to go." She moved past him and out of the elevator in a hurry. He let her by.

"See you around?" he asked her.

"Sure." She said not even turning back.

Bruce rode the elevator up to his apartment, grabbing a bite to eat, then fell quickly asleep.

Peach hurried to her car, trying to stay calm. Bruce fucking Wayne lived in the apartment directly above Joker. The thought seemed so outrageous, she had almost convinced herself it was a strange hallucination of some kind.

She replayed the entire encounter in her head. When the elevator doors opened, he'd nearly knocked her down, again. She hadn't recognized him at first, he had a bit more facial hair then the last time she'd seen him. He looked older too, the salt and pepper coloring of the hair at his temples aging him.

He stomach felt soured at the reality she was faced with now. She knew that her husband did not know this. He wouldn't have let her stay there if he had the slightest clue Bruce/Batman lived one floor up. The big question now was should she tell him? Her gut said not yet. Not until after his latest job was set in motion. She knew this wouldn't stay unknown for long, wouldn't they eventually run into each other?