Play Date at the Park

~I feel fine when we're high,

I'm gonna light you on fire,

I laugh so hard, you make me cry,

Let's light everything on fire~

~Third Eye Blind~

Today was the big day. Joker was busy getting all his hostages wired up and ready. He had figured out after the first one to drug them before he pulled out the explosive vests they would be locked into. After all 6 were rigged up and in the vans, he turned to his men.

"Boys, I will need 6 volunteers to, uh, play hostage." He looked around the room. No one except Red seemed to be eager to do this. "Not you Red, I have a special job for you."

Joker frowned, then offered the incentive he knew would work. "Extra pay and I'll let you sit the next one out with no consequences." He watched the men look around.

Perfect, the six he needed stepped forward. "Grab a vest and get it put on." They looked scared. "They are dummy vests, you won't splat everywhere." he lied.

The men started to get equipped and he moved to Red. "Follow me."

Joker pulled Red to the side and started to explain. "You will head out here soon to set up on the Insurance building keeping watch for any flying rodents."

"What?" the confusion was obvious on the ginger's face.

"Oh, I forget you don't know, Batman isn't dead, I have been trying to lure him out. I need you to keep your eyes open and signal me if he is lurking around while I am busy."

Red looked skeptical but nodded his understanding. Joker clapped him on the sides of his arms and handed him a duffel bag.

He watched Red leave.

When he moved back to the big area, the men were all dressed for the party. They looked nervous, that was a good thing, made them look more like hostages. "Split up between the vans with the others."

Ace came through the side door. "I think we are all ready to go boss."

Joker looked at his watch and smiled. Red would need a few minutes to get in place. "Good, I need to make a call and then we will head that way."

Joker moved over to the side of the room and pulled his phone. He dialed his wife.

"Yes?" she answered.

"You at home?"

"Yea." She answered. "Why?"

"Good, stay home, I might come by later, if not don't worry."

"Is it happening tonight?"

Joker frowned. "Yea, keep the TV on, you might see me."

"Be careful, I love you."

"I know." Joker hung up and moved to his desk. He put the phone down. Couldn't have that with him. He grabbed his burner phone and tucked it away.

He headed back over to Ace "Let's roll."

They all moved to the vans. Joker jumped into the van and gave them directions. Not that you could miss it. They were going to downtown Gotham. The large city park was hard to miss. Being New Year's Eve, they would have a bit of set up time before anyone would realize what they were doing.

Joker checked his pockets. He had his knives, a hand grenade, a flash grenade, his hand gun and his master detonater for all of the vests. His burner phone in his pants pocket rang. He pulled it out and answered.