4 Eyed Freshman (Chapter Seven)

My alarm blares loudly and I tap my phone.

"Great...school..." I groaned. I reach over to the counter and find my glasses. I gently slide them onto my face and yawn. It's been two weeks after the incident with Spectrum. It nearly left me blind, but instead left me with something far worse...I wear glasses now.

"Jarahn! You awake?!" My father called from downstairs.

"Yeah! I'm up!" I called back. My phone vibrated and I checked the message. It was Jasahn.

"Hey man just wanted to say I'm sorry about what happened...I hope you can forgive me" It read. 

I guess he thinks I'm still mad at him. I sort of am...if he listened to me...things would've happened differently...and I wouldn't have to wear stupid glasses. You guys don't really know what happened...let's go back.

(Flashback)

"Jarahn! You okay?!" Jaden asked as Jasahn directed me through the base.

"No! I can't see! Because of Mr. I can do it all by myself!" I yelled.

"I'm sorry...I didn't know this was gonna happen...I thought I could help you..." Jasahn said.

"It's not about what you know! It's about what you were told! I have more experience and you're the rookie! You have to listen to me!" I yelled again. I was pissed. Not only because he completely disobeyed me, but now I might be blind forever.

"I'm sorry..." He said again. He felt awful. He was confident for his first actual fight. But instead he got scolded by me and a bruise on his back. I ignored his sorry and he takes his helmet off. "I'll be upstairs." He walks off to the elevator and Jaden and Lakota escort me to the med bay, with Karen following behind them.

"It's gonna be okay Jarahn, you're gonna be okay." She says.

"I better be! How the hell can I protect my city if I can't see?!"  I decided to keep that thought to myself.

-Present Day

That's what happened. Turns out it was a temporary blindness, but it permanently messed up my retinas, so my dad and I got some prescription glasses. They came in pretty fast, and no one has seen me in them yet. And I don't think I want them to. I packed my bag and head downstairs to find my father waiting for me at the last step.

"My boy's growing up so fast.." He said with a smile.

"I'm only 14." I said with a laugh.

"Those glasses really change you. Kind of makes you look..."

"Smart?"

"Distinguished." He smirked. "You want me to take you today?"

"Eh, I should at least use the bus first, just in case. What about tomorrow?"

"Sure. Now get going!" He said as he moved out of the way and patted my shoulder. "Love you!" He called.

"Love you too." I closed the door behind me and head to the bus stop. I suddenly felt a slight wind on the right side of my cheek, I quickly moved to the left and grabbed a fist, I turned around and I found Nick. "Nick...it's you..." I said in relief. Nick is an old friend of mine. Used to be a bully and now became a good friend of mine that always tests my skills when he sees me. Just in case you guys forgot all about him.

"Holy shit dude...you're so much faster than before..." His widened eyes told me I might've overdid it and used a bit of my enhanced speed.

"Heh...guessed I trained a lot over break..."