Chapter 41

"Why are you asleep in the middle of the day?" I heard Marina's voice and the door close.

I lifted the covers to look at her. "It's one of those days when in here is better than out there."

"That bad? You and Neymar talked? I assumed it didn't go well when I saw him."

"You saw him?" I asked curiously, sitting up.

"Yeah. He was without you and since you're always together I figured... Plus he didn't look very happy." She said as she opened her closet.

"No?" I urged her on.

"No. We were at the pool and he just floated in the corner alone. Only talked to Thiago and David, but barely." She said taking some of her clothes and laying them down on her bed.

"I did that." I said taking a deep breath. "It's my fault."

"What happened?" She asked finally sitting down on my bed.

"I screwed up again. I just... I don't know if I can be in a relationship with him. I want to. But... it could never work."

"Are you sure?" She asked me. "I mean... I never thought that Bernard and I were serious but we've been talking about the future... About what we'll do after the World Cup."

"He's playing in Ukraine, isn't he?" I asked her.

"Yeah."

"Isn't that... kind of far?"

"Yeah but... Maybe we will go see each other, once a month or..."

"You can't just fly to Ukraine. I mean you don't have the money."

"I know there are lots of problems. But we will work them out. You can too, if you want to. There's Skype and texting and..."

I chuckled. "I'm sorry, I'm bringing you down. You have all these exciting plans and instead of being supportive I tell you they will never work."

"It's alright. I mean... I'm not delusional. I know it will be hard." She said. "Hey have you packed yet?"

"No, but I don't take long. I just grab everything and throw it in the suitcase. I have an inability to fold."

Marina laughed. "Better get started. The dinner is in an hour."

"We can't skip that, can we?"

"Nope."

With a sigh I got up and went to the bathroom. I threw some cold water on my face and started packing.

"It's a good thing you travel light." Marina commented.

"Yeah. You know we never went shopping while we've been in Rio." I told her.

"I went to the mall with Bernard once. That's why my suitcase won't close now."

We heard a knock on the door.

"Come in." I said.

The door opened and Bernard appeared. "You know I had trouble finding your room?" He said as he got in and hugged Marina. "Hey Liv."

"Hi Bernard." I said.

"How is the packing going? I'm all set."

"We are getting there." Marina said but she still had a huge pile of clothes on her bed.

"I see." Bernard mocked her as he pushed everything to the right side of the bed so he could sit. "Need any help?" he asked and picked up a shirt.

"You are unfolding everything!" Marina exclaimed and grabbed the shirt from him.