Chapter 94

Neymar's POV.

"The truth is I haven't been honest with you and I don't know that I'll ever be able to." Those were the last words she said to me before getting out of the car. Truth be told, she gave me a few seconds to respond before opening the door and running inside her brother's hotel but I was too stunned to master any kind of response.

Is there any response to that kind of admission? People sometimes get caught lying and they come clean. If they admit they were hiding something from you they finally tell you what it was. But what Liv did was tell me she had some sort of secret but wouldn't tell me anyway.

"What am I supposed to do with that?" I finally said out loud, to David who was sitting next to me at my hotel room balcony. "I don't want to break up with her for something that I don't even know! It could be anything! But I can't act like it never happened either."

"Okay, let's take it from the start. You left Cisco's party and you were fine. And you told her how important she was and how you couldn't sacrifice your relationship for the World Cup - which by the way is something I am not entirely sure I agree with, one night before the Colombia game – but anyway."

I nodded. "I told her she makes me better, she said I was deluding myself. If it wasn't all so pathetic and tragic I'd have told her the sun doesn't revolve around her, she's not singlehandedly responsible for every bad thing in the world."

"I don't think sarcasm would have helped much."

"But it's insane! How can someone so logical, so analytical be so absolutely insane?"

"This doesn't have anything to do with how logical she is." David argued.

"What are you talking about?" I snapped at him.

"I think for whatever reason –and she hasn't shared it with me either— Liv isn't... I don't know how to say this. I think she's trapped inside her head and her thoughts which are eating away at her, they somehow make sense inside her head almost like—"

"Someone who's delusional." I finished his sentence.

"Don't say that. I think she's not her usual self, there's something troubling her and remember we don't know much about Liv's life before she came here. I don't know what she's shared with you but now that I think of it, she never told me much. Somehow the subject always got changed." David said.

I realized he was right. She's my girlfriend and I know so few things about her and her life before we met. "She changed the subject. And she always did it so subtly we didn't even realize." I said. "But this won't stand." I said, getting up.

"What do you mean?" David asked me. "Neymar don't pressure her, it will blow up in your face. It won't do you any good."

"I won't. If Liv won't tell me someone else will."

~*~

After I knocked on the door for the third time I started walking away, thinking she wasn't there. When I reached the end of the hall, I heard a loud click.

"Neymar? Was it you?" Marina's head popped through the door. She had a bathrobe on and her hair was wet.

I nodded. "Sorry I..." I started saying at the same moment she said: "I was in the bathroom. Are you looking for Liv?"

"No, not Liv. You. I can come back later?" I started saying but then I thought better of it. "Actually I'd rather not. Can we talk now?"

"Sure." Marina said dumbfounded. "Just give me two minutes to get dressed."

When she opened the door moments later she was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt, her hair neatly wrapped in a towel. "What's going on?" She asked, letting me in.