Chapter 55

Thanks everyone for continuing to read the story, if you like it please vote :) xx

~

We ended up going to the same tavern I had gone with David and Marinho last time. I remembered the conversation I had with David then. If you like him, make sure he knows. David gave good advice. When we got inside I saw David with his parents. Of course they'd be there as well. When they saw us they all got up to greet us.

"C'mon join us!" Marinho said.

Neymar looked at me and his friends and everyone nodded. We linked two tables together and pulled up chairs.

"Long time no see." David told me when I sat next to him.

"Great coincidence, isn't it?" Regina asked.

David made an incoherent sound. Neymar and I exchanged a glance.

"So Olivia, how long are you staying in Brazil for?" Regina asked me.

"For the World Cup."

"Only?"

"We don't have any plans yet but there is always a possibility of a continuous collaboration with the CBF."

"Olivia has gotten attention from the coaches. She's helping me train." Neymar told Regina.

"This is big." Marinho commented. "Coaching football in Brazil isn't taken lightly."

"What are you doing in those training sessions? Neymar never says anything!" Gilmar asked.

"It's all top secret." I joked. "In all seriousness, we have signed a contract."

"I've told you they take it seriously." Marinho said again.

"We are using the data we collected from our simulations to better the instinctual responses to particular likely scenarios."

"In other words we cheat." Neymar added quickly, a grin forming on his mouth.

"Not exactly!" I objected. "We are deceiving his brain if you will. Teaching it how to respond to particular situations."

 "This all sound very impressive." Regina said. "Don't you think honey?" Regina turned to David.

"You're very impressive Liv." David told me. "You know who else thinks she's impressive mum? Her boyfriend." He said pointing at Neymar.

We all looked at each other speechless.

"Guess the cat's out of the bag." Neymar commented.

"Are you ready to order?" The waiter appeared.

The rest of the lunch was a little awkward but everyone started engaging in conversations again, except for David. I speculated that the reason he was mad at his mum was because of what Thiago had told me.

"Could you make an effort please?" I whispered in David's ear. "Your parents are here to see you."

"I'm just not in the mood." David said, his head buried in his hands, his locks obscuring it completely.

"I get that." I told him, putting my hand on his shoulders. I noticed his mom watching us. She had a worried expression on her face. "But David..."

"I know."

When we finished lunch we drove back to the compound. I had only briefly talked to Neymar's friends but I liked them. They were fun to be around and were his friends since they were kids. They were always supportive of him.

Upon reaching the compound Marinho expressed a wish to see the pond and everyone decided to head there. I felt a hand on my wrist and turned around. It was Regina.