Chapter 4

Waking up in the morning the first thought on my head was of last night. I kept going over it in my head and I realized I wasn't the only one who behaved weirdly. Juninho asked me some strange questions as well.

And there was the whole football thing too. I played again. Granted it was for two minutes, but everything came back to me, like it hadn't been almost three years since I last touched a ball.

I knew it very well that when I took this internship about football, I would have to deal with it, but I thought I could avoid playing, with excuses, like I did all this time. The thought that when the ball was presented at my feet, I would jump at the opportunity to play without even thinking twice hadn't crossed my mind. And yet that is what happened. And most of all I felt guilt. Guilt at how much I missed the game.

I shook it off quickly. I had a new day ahead of me, one that was full with activities as well. I looked towards Marina's side but she wasn't there. I stood up and walked to the bathroom to wash myself before going for breakfast.

When I walked in the restaurant it was empty. I looked at my phone and saw that it was pretty early in the morning, breakfast hadn't even started yet but I was hungry. There wasn't even anyone in the kitchen. I sat on one of the chairs and waited.

"Breakfast isn't for another hour honey." I heard a woman's voice. I turned around to see the cook.

"Good morning. I know, I will wait." I said.

"Do you want me to fix you something?" She asked gently.

"You can?" I asked.

"Sure. I was about to make breakfast for another early bird as well."

"In that case yes, thank you." I said. She smiled and walked towards the kitchen. "Can I help?" I asked.

She nodded. "What are we making?" I asked her.

"Scrambled eggs, bacon and pancakes."

"This isn't very Brazilian." I commented. Yesterday's breakfast had been the traditional Brazilian breakfast.

"Yeah, American influences." She smiled. It made sense that everyone would love pancakes.

"How many eggs?" I asked opening the fridge.

"Half a dozen. And how many you want."

"6? Are we feeding a giant?" I asked bringing her the eggs."

"Worse. A footballer." She laughed.

She separated the egg whites from the yolks, using only two yolks. After finishing the omelet she went on to make the bacon.

"Are they allowed to have bacon?" I asked.

"They haven't yet started practices. Technically they are on vacation."

"Oh, by the way I am Olivia."

"I am Meerene." She said. "You are one of the physics students, right?"

I nodded.

"So what would you like to eat?" She asked me.

"Some pancakes? And coffee."

She nodded and started making the pancake mix. When she finished, she gave me a plate of pancakes and some jam and I sat on one of the tables.

"These are delicious, Meerene!" I said, my mouth full.

"Thank you." She said as she was preparing the giant tray for the footballer. Once she was done she came and sat with me. "I hope it doesn't get cold." She said looking at the tray.