Chapter 19

It was Bruna. When they broke the kiss she told him something that made him smile. She cupped his face in her hand and he put his hand on her shoulders. They looked happy... completely in love.

I felt as if cold sweat was running in my body. Once again I had realized my own feelings so late, too late that they didn't matter anymore. If they even did in the first place. Because whatever chance I might have had with him, I threw  away and it made sense that he would stop trying to right his mistake and make me forgive him. I was replaceable. Especially to somebody like him.

David stepped in front of me, obscuring the couple completely from my view. "Do you want to leave?" He leaned towards my ear.

"No!" I yelled over the noise. I pushed everything back completely like only I knew how to do and gave him a big smile. I couldn't fool him though, he saw right through me. "I am fine. Let's get drinks and go dance!" I said.

He nodded and we made our way to the bar. Anything to be as far away from the VIP area as possible.

Once we got our drinks we joined the others on the dance floor and I let myself get lost in the sea of people. I was dancing with friends and strangers and soon it didn't matter what they were. There was always a drink in my hand and I suspected that was the policy of the club when it came to famous clientele and their entourage.

I wiped the sweat from my forehead as a hand grabbed me.

I turned around and was face to face with Neymar. He had a worried expression on his face. He started to say something but then the people dancing next to us recognized him and fell on him like drunken bees on a flower. Soon there was a commotion. I was pushed and shoved by people wanting to approach him and I took this opportunity to go as far away from him as I could.

I went to the bathroom and threw water on my face. I looked at my reflection on the mirror, the eyeliner in my eyes was a little smudged and my hair was stuck in my sticky neck. I pulled it up in a bun. I felt light like a feather and I had a very small problem with my balance. The fact that I mixed up my drinks a lot was going to give me a wicked hangover.

Leaving the bathroom I bumped into Alex.

"I was looking for you." He told me.

"Really? What for?"

"To dance."

"In that case..." I took his hand and we went back to the dance floor.

As we danced I looked at him, his blonde hair looked damp from the sweat and his cheeks were flushed. His eyes reflected the disco lights as he moved.

I thought about wrapping my hands around his neck, bringing us closer. He'd put his hands on my waist as we swayed to the beat. I'd lean in... and kiss him. It could be that easy.

And alcohol made you daring. Liquid courage. I wasn't the kind of person who would do that, hell I wasn't even the kind of person who wore my heart on my sleeve. You could never tell with me, what I felt. But maybe I was now. With alcohol.

I sighed. "Go on dance with someone else." I told Alex. "I'm lousy company today."

"No. I wanna dance with you." He said, his eyes glistening. He looked as drunk as me.

He raised his hand and stroked the side of my face. I flinched at the touch. His hand was soft as he brushed a few loose strands of hair out of my face. He leaned towards me.

 "My feet are killing me Alex." I said, knowing very well that this was my desperate attempt to avoid what I thought was coming. I gave him a lopsided smile as I turned around to leave. He stood there watching me a pained expression on his face.