Chapter 11

I woke up really early the next morning since I had gone to bed right after my talk with Neymar yesterday. It had left me exhausted and I slept right away. I got dressed in my practice clothes and went to the kitchen to eat some breakfast. I hadn't eaten anything since yesterday's breakfast and I was starving. Arriving at the kitchen I came to an abrupt stop.

You have to be kidding me! I told myself. I had come so early in the morning to avoid the crowds and the chit chat and I had. There was only one person eating. And it was Neymar. He was sitting with his back on me, but I had no doubt it was him. He talked with Meerene, the cook who seemed delighted by him.

I turned around to leave as my stomach complained once again but Meerene saw me.

"Olivia! Good morning! Come here!" Meerene said and Neymar turned immediately around to look at me. I couldn't read his face, I wasn't sure if he was happy or not to see me.

"Good morning Meerene." I said approaching.

"This is the other early bird I was telling you about." Meerene told Neymar, motioning towards me. I remembered when I met her. I had helped her cook breakfast for a footballer she had called early bird. It must have been him.  I had left the restaurant seconds before he came in. One more time I could have found his identity but I didn't.

How great would it have been, I thought. If I had found out then, when I had barely talked to him the damage wouldn't be irreparable. I would have forgiven him. But now? The night we went out, just the two of us and that day by the pond, we had talked so much and I had shared a lot. I couldn't overcome this deception.

"Liv." He said looking at me.

"Neymar." I said. I had reached them by then and I wasn't sure what to do.

"You know each other! Great." Meerene said. "Sit down love and I will fix you something real quick." She told me.

"I can come help you." I said desperate to distance myself from him. He realized, his eyes darkened and his lips went rigid when he heard me.

"No need." She said and disappeared in the kitchen.

I thought about sitting at a different table. But that would only raise questions. And I didn't want people and especially the coaches to know that Neymar and I were on the outs.

I sat across from him. He had stopped eating but was moving food around on his plate absentmindedly. "How are you?" He asked me. "Umm... did you um... sleep okay?" he asked, speaking so quietly that I barely understood his words.

I felt awkward. Didn't he realize what I said yesterday? I had no desire to chat with him. For all I knew he was one answer away from talking about the weather.

But it wasn't to say that all this didn't break my heart. Because it did. He and I had gotten really close really fast. And I wasn't even sure what kind of close that was. But then I found out who he really was and it complicated things even more.

"I did." I breathed. "But Juninho..." I wanted to say stop. I wanted to say I didn't want to chat. But then I realized what I had just called him. It slipped through my mouth before I realized.

He froze looking at his plate.

"I am sorry." I said. Despite everything I didn't want him to think I had called him that to hurt him.

"No, don't be. I am. I really am." He said.

"David said that's what your family and friends call you." I said.

He nodded. He suddenly raised his head to look at me. I was studying him intently so I didn't have time to react. We looked into each other's eyes. And in that moment as I starred at those light brown eyes, that glinted in the sun and almost looked green, I thought I can forgive him. I wanted to forgive him, badly.