Kissing Away the Pain

“Josh,” I said as I felt my heart drop to my stomach.

            “Cara, please,” he said in a quiet voice. He came slowly over to me with his hands outstretched. He hugged me loosely before tightening his grip and pulling me into his hard body.

            “I'm sorry Josh, I just can’t…” I pulled away and ran from him. I ran and found my way out on the streets again for the second time in twenty-four hours. I hailed a cab this time and sat quietly the entire way back. When I finally arrived I realized I had left my phone and purse at the mall so I had no money. “Uh, one second,” I said to the cabbie who looked like he’d rather be anywhere else.

            “Yeah, just get me my money girl,” he spat rudely. I saw Liam standing up against the door talking to someone so I called out to him.

            “Hey Car, what’s up?” he came over casually.

            “Um, I left my money at the mall. Could you cover me until I get my purse and phone back?” I asked sheepishly. I hated making other people pay for me.

            “No problem, you don’t have to pay me back.” He handed the cabbie over a few bills and told him to keep the change. He drove away quickly probably thinking Liam would change his mind.

            “Yes I do,” we walked into the building together.

            “Really, I'm surprised we get black cards for food and stuff like that. I mean we can afford it anyways while people in poverty have to collect spare change just for a small meal. It doesn’t seem fair.” Liam ranted on and I believed every word he said. He was always thinking of others before himself.

            “It really doesn’t.” I agreed.

            “Oh, Niall was looking for you earlier,” Liam popped his head up like he had just remembered.

            “Really? Ok,” I tried to sound nonchalant but my voice was vibrating. I began walking away when Liam’s head popped up again. He looked like a bobble head in actuality and I had to refrain from laughing at the similarity.

            “Are you packed yet?” he asked.

            “For what?” I didn’t think we were changing cities or moving anywhere anytime soon.

            “Didn’t you dad tell you?” I shook my head no. “Oh well our schedule got moved up, were leaving for the US in about a day.” That was news to me.

            “Thanks Liam,” I blew him a kiss and ran up the stairs two at a time. That probably wasn’t the smartest idea because we were on one of the top floors and I was panting like a dog by the time I got to Niall’s room. I knocked twice and caught my breath while I was waiting for him to come to the door. I was so glad I did that because the second he saw it was me he pulled me inside and gave me a breathtaking kiss.

            “Hey,” he smiled casually as he let me go. My head was spinning and it took me a minute for me to only see one of him

            “Hey, Liam said you were looking for me,” I hugged him tightly.

            “Yeah I just wanted to make sure you were ok after last night and Christine and everything.” My mind immediately raced to her in Josh’s room last night. I wondered about how he had found out about it before I realized that he was referring to the party.

            “I'm fine,” my face fell and I could feel the tears gathering at the corners of my eyes.

            “Why do girls always say they’re fine when they want to cry?’ he pulled me in for a hug and cradled my head until I had finished letting the tears roll down my cheeks. He kissed me softly and smiled.