Drowning

“Oh sorry,” Christine said emotionlessly. I closed my eyes as if to block out her words but her image was burned onto my eyelids.

            “Uh, so I’ll go,” I backed up blindly and ran to the door. I could hear Josh calling for me but I raced out of his room. I somehow found my way to my bed blinded by tears. I tossed myself down on the bed and cried. I couldn’t get her face out of my head. She was wearing one of Josh’s shirts and her hair was messy but her smug expression was still the same. I wanted to know what she was doing there but I didn’t want to hear the answer. My head was spinning with crazy ideas.

Maybe they’re long-lost siblings?

Maybe she’s homeless?

Maybe she snuck in?

Maybe she wasn’t real?

Maybe some alien pod duplicated her body and they were trying to experiment what it was like to be a girl and Josh was just helping out?

            But the one doubt kept tugging at the back of my mind and I didn’t want to listen to it. Maybe they were sleeping together. Maybe he’s cheating on me. But that was crazy, he knew how much she had hurt me and they had only just met? I refused to acknowledge the second part, mostly because my brain told me he wasn’t really mine. But my heart was yelling just the opposite. God I was so frustrated.

            I decided to take a shower to almost melt away the experience but I was far too lazy and tired to get up. My emotions felt like a sugar high, as happy as I had felt before, I was equally as depressed now. I felt like a freakin pendulum! The only way I knew how to get my emotions out was through guitar. I grabbed it blindly and just began to sing my feelings out. Not a song but more of a therapy session if you will.

            “He looked at me, so many years ago. Who would’ve guessed, how was I supposed to know? That the boy of my dreams; dreamt about me. Life is long, oh too short. How do I make sense of this court… mentship” what could I say, I was tired and rhyming is hard! I kept singing out random lyrics about my life in general and when I finally stopped, oh so suddenly, I realized how loud I had been. My voice was radiating around the small room and I smiled slightly. I suddenly realized how sleepy I was and before I had a chance to look at the clock my head was on its way to the pillow.

            I woke up and sighed. I was wrapped around my guitar and it reminded me of how I had woken up like this with Niall not 24 hours before. I got up and walked to the bathroom for my morning routine. I looked and the mirror at my refection and gasped. My eyes were all red and puffy and my face looked absolutely sickly. I wondered how I could look so much like a ghost in the period of one night, and then it all came rushing back to me and I had to run to the toilet as I emptied my stomach. I fell down the cool tile and just lay there for however many minutes I had ever loved. With every minute my heart broke and shattered into millions more pieces. I was completely empty; emotionally and physically.

            “Princess,” my dad knocked on the door. I sniffled and whipped my eyes.

            “Yeah, Daddy?” I asked and opened the door.

            “Uh oh, you called me ‘Daddy’. What the matter Princess?” he asked calmly and I fell apart in his arms. I couldn’t make a cohesive sentence but I didn’t need words in that moment. All I needed was my dad to hold me. “So I should probably go tell the young man sitting in our living room to go to hell?” he smiled and I stifled a laugh.

            “Thanks,” I sat down on the bed. He dropped a kiss on my head before walking out and shutting my door.

            “Get the hell out!” I heard my dad say sternly and I almost jumped.