The "Situation" and Thinking Of Our Parents

For the next two days, that siren kept going on and off. I helped hand out supplies to the campers taking refuge in the crumpled buildings. The camp doctors were finally able to get me a pair of crutches to walk with. Although I was happy, I was secretly a little sad because I didn't need Gavin to carry me around anymore. After my evening run, (more like hobble) I went back up to my room with Gloria and Roxie.

"Ugh, Im so tired." muttered Gloria, who flopped onto her bed.

I threw my crutches to the side and ploped down next to her. Gloria put in my headphones and plugged them into my phone, playing Centuries by Fall Out Boy. I pulled out a nature valley bar and gave Gloria a piece. I broke a chunk off of mine and fed it to Roxie, who ate it in seconds. Suddenly Gloria took out the headphones and faced me.

"Rachel, do you ever think we'll see our parents again?"

I looked at her, shocked. I didn't expect that question from Gloria. I thought about her question for a minute. I decided to be honest with her.

" I don't know Gloria." I responded, giving her a sad smile.

Before i could say anything else, there was a knock on the door. Roxie perked her ears up and stared at the door, as if she could magically open it. I laughed and Gloria got up to answer the door. Standing in the doorway was Gavin, Zeke, and Lester.

" You need to come outside right now, we have a......... situation." said Zeke, nervously.

Gloria and I glanced at each other and reluctantly follwed the boys outside. as I was making my way down the stairs, I started to fall behind.

"Oh Rachel," smirked Gavin.

He climbed back up the stairs to me and picked me up bridal style once again. I laughed and he started to carry me down the flights of stairs. When we reached the bottom of all the stairs, everyone was already out the door, leaving only Gavin and I in the hall of stairs. He carefully put me down and went to open the door to outside. Before I knew what i was doing, I shifted between him and the door and gave him kiss on the cheek. He stared at me, blushing.

" I wanted to say thanks, you know, for helping me down the stairs." I said, smirking.

I turned around, opened the door, and hobbled out. When I looked out towards the street, however, I saw that everyone was crowded around these three words embedded into the street.

Prepare to DIE.