Zeke's Confession

I looked at Zeke and nodded, he looked at the ground.

" Ever since I met Tara, I may or may not have had a slight crush on her."

I nodded, it was quite obvious.

"Ok, are you going to tell her?"

" I don't know, what if she doesn't like me?"

I laughed, Zeke is a tall, thin, slightly muscular teenager. Every girl at camp fangirls over him when he walks by, and he's worried that if one girl doesn't like him it's the end of the world?

" Zeke, just go for it."

" No Rachel, you don't understand. Tara and I have been best friends for like, EVER. I'm afraid to jeopardize that."

I sighed. I don't know much about love, but I know enough to help Zeke.

" Ok Zeke, how about this: I'll find out if Tara likes you back or not. Deal?"

He nodded, and we shook hands. He walked over to Gavin and I approached Tara.

"Hey Tara."

She looked up from her iPad, which I didn't know she had until now.

"Oh sup Rachel, I was just making a list of what we need to do when we get back. Wanna help?"

I shook my head.

"No, I'm good. I just wanted to ask you a question: what do you think of Zeke? because he is really cute!"

I coughed after I said that, Honestly, he's ok, but not really my type. Tara looked at me.

" Well, he's my best friend. but if I had to have an opinion, I'd say he's pretty good looking."

I nodded, that's enough for now. I grabbed my phone from my supply bag and pressed the ON button. Thankfully, it came to life, with 50% battery. I was lucky though, my phone didn't crack when it was in the rubble. I thank otter box cases, which had my favorite color too, blue. I searched through my apps, checking if they were still there, wattpad, snapchat, Vine, pic collage, piano tiles, wonder polls. Yep all there. I then decided to look through my photos. I saw all of the pictures from before the quake. me and my mom, and Jamie. She was my cousin, and only friend. I don't know what ever happened to her. I hope she's ok. The last photo I took was of my mom and I, the night before the earthquake. We were watching The Fault in our Stars on demand. I quickly locked my phone, to wipe away a tear. I can't believe my mom died to save me. After everything that happened I never had time to grieve. I wiped away another tear, Gavin saw me and walked over to me.

" Rachel, what's wrong?"

" Nothing, it's nothing."

He looked at me, giving me a I know your lying face.

"Fine, when the quake happened, unlike your parents, my mom died."

I looked at the floor, I couldn't bring myself to look him in the eye. I felt an arm around me, he put his arm around me.

" I'm so sorry Rachel."

I gave him a weak smile, and before we could say anything else, Gloria caught our attention.

" Oh my gosh, who's that?!?!"

We all looked at where she was pointing, which was at the stairs that entered the underground subways. Standing there, was a person, a man, an ADULT. The man took one look at us, and ran down into the subway.