Traveling Back

Soon the train came to another short stop. I was leaning on the window, trying to ignore the pain in my ankle. We all jumped up from the jolt of the subway train. The doors parted and we all stepped out with our supply bags we left on the train when we encountered the guards. Roxie first, Gavin carrying me out last. The train whizzed away and all of us quickly went up the stairs back to New York, or, what was left of it.

" Hey Rachel, what did that guard say to you back there? You looked pretty stunned over what he was saying." said Tara.

I looked over at Tara, should I tell her?

No, I shouldn't. We have a conspiracy to solve and what the guard said about my father would only add to the stress.

" Oh, nothing. I was just scared because I didn't see him grab for me."

Tara stopped walking and looked at me for a second, as if trying to see if I'm lying. I looked away and leaned into Gavin's chest, hoping she wouldn't ask anymore questions. Luckily she didn't and let the subject go. We walked in silence, even Gloria who always breaks the silence. I studied our little band of friends. Gloria, Tara, and Zeke were dragging their feet as they walked. Lester was moving his chair with one hand, while he rested his head on the other. Even Roxie seemed depressed, she was walking with her tail between her legs. Then there was Gavin carrying me bridal style. I looked up at him, trying to figure out what he was thinking. His glasses were sliding down off his face, and before I realized what I was doing I reached up and pushed his glasses back in place. He looked startled for a moment, but then he smiled at me. All my life I found boys ignorant and oblivious, but now I see I was wrong. I never knew what it was like to smile at someone for no apparent reason. I took my phone out of my bag which I was holding. 45% battery, ugh. I looked at the time, 4:30. I slipped it back in my bag and closed my eyes. This whole situation feels like it's been going on for years, when in reality it's been two weeks. I opened my eyes and looked at the road ahead of us. After what we just learned, our lives are going to be in great danger.