Heading Out

We stared at him. Lester was partly paralyzed? Gavin looked over at Lester. He was playing with his new chair.

" It's ok Gavin." said Gloria.

She walked up to Gavin and hugged him. He looked taken back at first, but then returned the hug. When Gloria pulled away, Gavin looked at Ivy, Tara, Zeke and I.

"When Lester tried to get out of the chair, he instantly fell over. after three try's, the doctor said that he was paralyzed. the gash was too deep and it spread to his other leg."

We nodded and Ivy gave him a quick hug. Tara put her had on his shoulder for comfort. Roxie nudged Gavin so he would pet her.

" We better get going." Tara said. she handed Gavin and Lester there weapons and everyone started to follow Tara to the end of the street. Out supply bags were waiting on the sidewalk at the corner. We didn't take any rides with us because if there is something out there we don't want it to find us yet. Gavin started to follow but I quickly stopped him.

" Gavin, I'm really sorry about Lester."

He looked at me, then put his arms around me in a hug. At first I was stiff, I didn't know what to do, then I slowly put my arms around him, offering comfort. He felt so strong. Gavin pulled away and looked me in the eye.

Oh who am I kidding? He IS cute!

We ran to catch up with the rest of the group. Gloria was saying goodbye to Hazel and I said goodbye to Ivy.

" You are one brave girl Rachel."

I smiled and thanked her. Then Tara called for our attention.

" Ok everybody, Lets head out!"

We grabbed our supply bags and walked into the great unknown. Once the camp was out of sight, I started to observe New York. Barely any buildings were standing. We turned onto the next street and it looked exactly like the first one. Soon the sun started to set, and we turned onto the last street we were going to walk today. Tara was in the lead, talking to Zeke who was next to her, Gavin was walking next to Lester and carrying Gloria on his back, and I was looking at my Swiss Army knife. Once we reached the end of that street, We all sat down and pulled out our sleeping bags. Zeke started a small fire. I watched as everyone settled down to go to sleep. Not a word was spoken between anyone. I walked over to Gavin and peeled Gloria off his back. She crawled into her sleeping bag without hesitation, and Roxie curled up next to her. Tara and Zeke were already falling asleep along with Gloria. Gavin picked up Lester and lowered him to bed. Then he went to sleep himself. I fell asleep quite quickly, thinking that everything is ok....... Boy was I wrong.